Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Attention: New Vista driver 15.4.3 destroys 945GM card?

okatomy
Beginner

i installed version 15.4.3 von windows vista 32-bit on my 945GM, and it causes screen flickers.

i even deinstalled it and installed the previous version (15.4) which worked just fine before. but it still flickers, seems like the 15.4.3 destroyed something, i hope its not the card!

how can intel release that driver and MS give a WHQL certificate? thats a shame.

i have a dell inspiron 640m laptop.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee

15.4.3 is the latest for 945GM.

I personally download the .zip version, extract it, then run setup.exe from the extracted directory, but that's because I hack the .INF file. For a normal user, downloading the .exe version and running it should be fine.

0 Kudos
m3nster
Beginner

my idee would be, download exe files unzip the exe with winrar, and install the drivers by using the device manager...

play with it, try drivers... reinstall, deinstall.. just play around and you'll find your own best solution :)

0 Kudos
christian_s
Beginner
thanks guys. I guess I will make a new restore point and then try to install the 15.4.3 pack again and delete the string in registry. If it goes sour I can always revert back.

btw: what is the gma950 tool good for? I get this little blue icon on the system tray that takes over the display properties. Do I need that for anything, I prefer the standard windows display properties.
0 Kudos
quasar_x
Beginner
The release notes lists the following as a "resolved issue"

Blank HDMI if plugged in during resume (S3 -> S0) transition.

SoftBIOS

Intel 945GM Express Chipset

Any idea what "SoftBIOS" refers to? Does the driver also update the firmware/bios of the 945GM?
0 Kudos
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee
In the olden days (2005), Intel driverswere mostly references to the VideoBIOS, which contained a lot of indispensable information about resolutions, standby behavior, etc. In more modern times, the SoftBIOS takes its place. It looks like the VideoBIOS, so most of the underlying driver code didn't have to change, but it's software rather than firmware.
0 Kudos
hsaber
Beginner
I tried this solution before testing this thread. It worked for me and my Vista works correctly now!
I don't know which solution is better, but I had the same problem as what you describe here, and know my problem is solved:

Follow this instruction:
  1. Click on the Start button (pearl? ball? orb?).
  2. Type "Task Scheduler" and hit Enter.
  3. On the left-hand side, click "Task Scheduler Local" (you should already be there, but just in case).
  4. Expand "Task Scheduler Library," then "Microsoft," then "Windows," then click "MobilePC."
  5. Up top, you'll see a task called "TMM." Click it, and on the right-hand side, click "Disable."
  6. You're done.

Source:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=153286
0 Kudos