Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

BLE-Central Demo: Plugin Resolution Error

SSBC
Beginner

Greetings,

I have a fresh install of XDK 3641 on Mac OS 10.11.4 and I attempted to open the BLE-Central demo. When I do, I receive a 'Plugin resolution Error' as shown below.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-ssbc

Plugin resolution Error

Command failed: /Applications/Intel XDK.app/Contents/MacOS/git/bin/git -c init.templatedir=/Applications/Intel XDK.app/Contents/MacOS/git/share/git-core/templates clone https://github.com/don/cordova-plugin-ble-central.git /var/folders/cm/q4yjy2712v1c8qt4pdk5873w0000gn/T/git/1478925375598 --single-branch --depth=1 Cloning into '/var/folders/cm/q4yjy2712v1c8qt4pdk5873w0000gn/T/git/1478925375598'... fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'

• unknown
You can cancel plugin resolution and exit this project.
0 Kudos
31 Replies
Anjali_G_Intel
Employee

Hi SSBC,

I tested that sample on a windows and a mac machine and was able to create a project. I think either of the two could be happening :

1) Try recreating the project. If you still get the error, it is possible something went wrong in XDK installation and the git/npm settings are not correct. To fix this, can you do a complete uninstall and then reinstall it. Follow these instructions to do a clean uninstall : https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#app-preview-login

2) some proxy setting or environment variable are not set correctly. Let us see where step #1 gets you and then dig more into #2 if needed.

Thanks

Anjali 

0 Kudos
Amr_N_
Beginner

Hi Anjali, i'm actually facing the same exact problem and i tried to uninstall the xdk and then re-install it following the steps in the link you posted, but it didn't solve the problem and i still get the same error when trying to open the BLE-Central sample 

0 Kudos
SSBC
Beginner

Interesting, but probably not coincidental. My XDK installation was fresh and the BLE-Central app was the first thing I tried.

Out of curiosity, I tried a fresh install of XDK v3641 on Windows 10. It also has problems when I tries BLE-Central with the project name 'ble-central", but with a different error signature:

Error creating project: Error copying tmp directory contents to project: Could not copy directory: C:/Users/ssbc/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp-7372ICNesF6rk3Bv/unzip/samples  

Then I tried it again with a different project name "blecentral" (no dash)... and it worked (for Win10 anyway)! There was mention on another thread about special characters being problematic in project names... That would appear to be the case here.

Now I need to try this on Mac OS.

0 Kudos
SSBC
Beginner

Alas, no luck on Mac OS. I created a new BLE Central project without the hyphen in the project name and still get the Plugin Resolution Error (albeit with slightly different details).

That said, looks like a Mac-specific issue. Hopefully this will provide some more clues...

-ssbc

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thanks for the feedback SSBC. We have filed a bug regarding this hyphen issue, it's not clear why some of you are seeing it and many are not. For example, I use a Mac and use dash characters in most of my project names, yet I do not experience this problem. Hoping we can get to the bottom of it.

0 Kudos
SSBC
Beginner

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the bug filling. Just to be clear, the "Plugin Resolution Error" issue is still present (even without hyphens) for Mac OS. Amr N has independently found the same issue with the BLE-Central demo project. 

-ssbc

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Hi SSBC -- that one we have also been unable to reproduce. Every machine we've tried has been able to successfully create the BLE sample, with no plugin issues. :-( --Paul

0 Kudos
SSBC
Beginner

OK - Is there some sort of data Amr and I could attempt to gather for you to help narrow the cause?

0 Kudos
Amr_N_
Beginner

Yeah maybe be some git related info or something, i think the problem is with git i just don't know what it is !!

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Git is used under the hood to perform the "plugin add" process. On Mac and OSX systems a copy of git is included with the install. However, on Linux systems, the installed git is used, because there is no way for us to guarantee that a binary we provide will be compatible with your Linux system. I have seen some situations where the git config file caused odd problems, usually because it contained some config options that applied only to some very old versions of git.

Some details about your host OS (Linux, Mac, Windows) and the version of git on your system (git --version) might be helpful.

SSBC -- based on the error message provided, are you able to perform the following at the command-line?

git -c init.templatedir=/Applications/Intel\ XDK.app/Contents/MacOS/git/share/git-core/templates clone https://github.com/don/cordova-plugin-ble-central.git /tmp/test --single-branch --depth=1 

Notice that I've changed the target folder to be "/tmp/test" instead of the long one, which is probably derived from $TMPDIR on your Mac. When I performed the command above it worked on my system.

0 Kudos
Amr_N_
Beginner

Paul -- i'm running on OSX 10.11.4 and git version is 2.10.1 and tried to run the command

git -c init.templatedir=/Applications/Intel\ XDK.app/Contents/MacOS/git/share/git-core/templates clone https://github.com/don/cordova-plugin-ble-central.git /tmp/test --single-branch --depth=1

separately as you mentioned through the terminal and it worked fine and i was able to clone the repo successfully but not through the xdk i'm still getting the same error

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Amr -- then my suspicion is something in a git config file. Check your git config files to see if there's something in there that might be causing trouble.

0 Kudos
Amr_N_
Beginner

Paul -- which gitconfig file do you mean ?! i'm sorry i'm not so good with git, i have two gitconfig files one in ~/.gitconfig and the other one in /usr/local/git/etc/gitconfig with different content which one should i check and what exactly should i check for ?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Both of them apply. You might want to start by renaming both to something like gitconfig.org so neither is used, to see if it makes a difference (in other words, remove them from the equation). If that fixes things, then you can do some experimentation with the contents to figure out which configuration option is causing the problem. Sorry, I don't know what is inside your config files or which option might be causing a problem. First step is to simply determine if those are the source of the problem. If they are not the source of the problem, we have to look elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Amr_N_
Beginner

Paul -- i tried renaming both files as you said with no effect i'm still getting the same error, the problem is not with git configuration files obviously 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Amr -- did you remove all special characters, including dash characters, from the name of the project? Make another project from the sample, but do not include any dash characters or special characters in the name of the project, use just letters and numbers.

• Are you seeing this in the error message? > fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https' <
  • Also, do you have this variable in your environment? > GIT_EXEC_PATH < (for reference > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/git-users/Prahuw9yu1g)
  • Did you change the default installation folder for the XDK?
  • Have you tried this on another machine?
  • Does your home directory or the directory where you are creating your XDK projects have any unusual characters in it?
0 Kudos
Amr_N_
Beginner

Paul -- i tried everything for the name and nothing passed.

• yes i'm getting the same exact error as the one posted here
  • i tried the command printenv and no the output does not include the variable GIT_EXEC_PATH
  • the XDK is placed in Application/ i didn't change anything
  • no i didn't try it on another machine 
  • no spaces or special characters in the project path 

The output of printenv : 

TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal

SHELL=/bin/bash

TERM=xterm-256color

TMPDIR=/var/folders/tv/cm3fh8jx5wbczt2zz72bb3kr0000gn/T/

Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.dDuVWfElFY/Render

TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=361.1

TERM_SESSION_ID=7095F821-299D-4EB2-BD3B-3259BF5679F7

USER=Amr

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.NszF2Nu5Qf/Listeners

__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0x0:0x0

PATH=usr/local/bin:/usr/local/php5/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/Amr/.composer/vendor/bin

PWD=/Users/Amr

XPC_FLAGS=0x0

XPC_SERVICE_NAME=0

SHLVL=1

HOME=/Users/Amr

LOGNAME=Amr

LC_CTYPE=UTF-8

_=/usr/bin/printenv

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I've asked the responsible engineer for some help. Nothing making sense. In the meantime, I recommend you try running the XDK on another machine, there's something about your environment on that machine that's got to be causing the problem, but I cannot put my finger on it.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

What version of OSX are you running on your Mac? One thing that keeps popping up when investigating this issue is openssl, which makes sense, because https depends on that. For example, this post > http://kamituel.tumblr.com/post/40678251617/fix-for-git-error-fatal-unable-to-find-remote < I'm wondering if there's an issue with the openssl library on your system? It's a bit of reach...

0 Kudos
SSBC
Beginner

In my case it's OS X 10.11.4

...as noted above, I only see this in Mac OS, Win 10 seems to be fine.

0 Kudos