Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

BSOD issue with newly installed RealSense

Andrew_J_2
Beginner

So, I just got my camera, and was all excited to use it. I had to upgrade my CPU so I got a brand new Z97-AR and i74790K... Installed everything, latest drivers, etc. I got everything loaded for the Realsense but, when I go in and try to run the Face Tracking, it runs for maybe 5 seconds, then freezes, then a BSOD giving me a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION not handled, referring to ASUSFILTER.SYS. I swear I've been through the drivers four times, they're all up to date as far as I can tell... Somebody please help me play with my new toy! :(

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

The driver error that you are having looks like it might be your system's USB hub (internal).You're going to have to work with the system provider on that one - or do something else for USB.  Not something RSSDK can help you with.

0 Kudos
Jack_K_1
New Contributor II

Andrew,

Do you have USB 3.0 Boost enabled?  If so, I wonder if this is causing the problem.

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Double checking things here:

- Is the camera connected to a usb3.0 port?, have you tried with another port?

- Which version of the RealSense SDK are you using? R1 or R2?

- What are the specific drivers that you installed?

- Are you running Windows 8.1, 64 bits?

- What type of CPU do you have?

0 Kudos
Andrew_J_2
Beginner

@ Jack Yes, Boost is enabled... I'll have to try disabling it. 

@ samontab yes, it's in a 3.0 port, and I did try switching it. same problem. Windows 8.1, 64 bit, processor is i7 4790K. the SDK version is listed as 4.0.0.112526, not sure if that would be R1 or R2... and the driver file was C3DG_0800_PCAPP_DRV_EN_1_00_07. 

I got on the phone with Asus support last night and got a really unhappy woman, who basically told me to work it out with Intel since the system worked fine except for with the camera. Which was really unhelpful; I get that it isn't technically *only* a problem with their hardware but I was helping they would help me resolve it. I did eventually get it working by uninstalling the ASUS management software, which is a solution of sorts but now I can't use their fan control software which I liked. 

0 Kudos
Jack_K_1
New Contributor II

Andrew,

Do I understand correctly, that you have solved the BSOD problem (when running the camera) by uninstalling the ASUS management suite?  Did this also uninstall USB 3.0 Boost?

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Andrew_J_2
Beginner

Yes, the 3.0 Boost is uninstalled now as well. 

0 Kudos
Jack_K_1
New Contributor II

Andrew,

Thanks for the update.  My best guess is that USB 3.0 Boost determined it could enter turbo mode, which caused the crash.

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Andrew_J_2
Beginner

Got it working, but I had to uninstall the Asus AI Suite. Not a huge deal, since I was only using it for fan control anyhow, but disappointing. I did try only uninstalling the 3.0 Boost but it didn't solve my specific problem. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

It would be interesting to know why that program would cause this.

Since the problem appeared using the Face Tracker app it could be interfering at the driver level (raw access to the camera), or at the RealSense SDK level,.. I wonder if the same issue appears when using the raw camera access demo...

0 Kudos