Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Black screen WKWebView

Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I have problem with WKWebView on ios. I export project from Construct 2 with new options - "Use WKWebView on ios" and successful build in XDK 3088, but i get black screen and no more, after splash screen on iPhone 4S. It happens with CLI 5.1.1 and 5.4.1.

In XDK i install https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine and try https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView but not result - i get black screen. If remove this plugins - build and work fine.

How to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Hi Alex P.

You should:

1. Export from Construct 2 with select "Use WkWebView for ios"

2. In XDK select CLI 5.4.1 and ios target version 8.0

3. In XDK  add cordova-plugin-httpd, cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine and cordova-plugin-file

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The wkwebview that Construct2 uses has problems. We recommend you use the one in our featured plugins list, this is the official core Cordova plugin. It will only accelerate iOS 9 devices and only works with CLI 5.4.1 so apps built with it can only be installed on iOS 8 and higher devices. Following the documentation link in that plugin's description for more details.

0 Kudos
Alex_P_3
Beginner

Hi there I decided to join in as this seems to be the only post I can find on the internet regarding WKWebView for users of Construct 2 and Intel XDK. I have the same issue where the app will build successfully but I then open it only to find a black screen. I should note that I can see the status bar in this black screen which I have disabled and can confirm is not visible when the app launches normally without WKWebView. By this I mean I don't think the app even gets to start.

I have tried builds with the Construct 2 option, "Use WKWebView on iOS", both enabled and disabled and I have been using the "Cordova WKWebView Engine" plugin found in the core plugins in Intel XDK. I added in the code into config.xml as specified in the plugin documentation under permissions and also I have been testing on a iOS 9 device and using Cordova CLI 5.4.1 so I can't seem to find the reason why it does this.

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Hi Paul F. 

Thank you for answer, i try with CLI 5.4.1 and wkwebview plugin from featured list and add code into config.xml as specified in the plugin documentation under permissions but I got the same result.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I've asked one of my colleagues who has worked with this plugin more than I to take a look.

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Thank you Paul F. I will wait for news

0 Kudos
Rakshith_K_Intel
Employee

@Konstantin R. can u send your zipped project or a mini-project that has this issue, in private message, I will take a look

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Hi Rakshith i send you message  with my project. Thank you for help

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

I solved this problem. Solution if you use "old" metod export cordova project in XDK:

3. In XDK  add cordova-plugin-httpd

0 Kudos
Alex_P_3
Beginner

Konstantin R. wrote:

I solved this problem. Solution if you use "old" metod export cordova project in XDK:

3. In XDK  add cordova-plugin-httpd

Hey there, I was wondering if you could further explain the solution as it did not work for me.

I followed your steps by exporting from Construct (without using the new Intel XDK project format) and ticking the "Use WkWebView for ios". I have made sure the XDK cordova and ios settings are right and I added in the cordova-plugin-httpd as well as the cordova WKWebView Engine. Finally I added the permissionrs as you also did (in your above comment) into the config.xml file and when I put it on my iphone or ipad, the screen is infinitely in a black screen with the status bar showing. Is there something I missed?

Any help, especially if you have figured it out, would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Hi Alex P.

You should:

3. In XDK  add cordova-plugin-httpd, cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine and cordova-plugin-file

0 Kudos
Alex_P_3
Beginner

Hey Konstantin R.

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I'm afraid I've had no luck as I've added in all those plugins and settings (I've attached screenshots to confirm) and still I get a black screen with the status bar remaining. I also tried exporting from Construct as an Intel project in case something was wrong with my current project but I still get the same result. Maybe somehow doing something wrong within Construct?

I don't suppose there was anything else to it you didn't mention like using the Cordova iOS Whitelist or downgrading plugin versions or something else I'm missing? If not then I might just need to start my own Intel topic.

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

hi Alex P.

Paste "*"(without quotes) in ios whitelist in network request, intent and navigation and try build again.

0 Kudos
prathan_s_
Beginner

Hi Konstantin R.   

Did you edit config.xml file ?    

If you edited please share what you edit thank.

I use C2 R227 + intelxdk3240 when emulate always show black screen. I also attached my config please review.

0 Kudos
Konstantin_R_
New Contributor I

Hi prathan s.

I use "old" metod export cordova project from Construct 2 in XDK I didn't edit config.xml. I don't know how it works in emulator. For test try to create a new project and add all your plugins, in whitelist paste in all fields "*" and build. 

0 Kudos
Alex_P_3
Beginner

Hey Konstantin R.

I tried adding in the "*" to the ios whitelist but without any luck. I also retried exporting from Construct 2 in the Intel XDK format which like last time didn't work but I did find, upon looking closely, that this format adds in all the plugins you've mentioned and fills in the whitelist for you.

I then made a new test project and exported in the Intel XDK format and it actually worked which leads me to believe somehow its got to do with my Construct file and nothing to do with the new format. I've been working on my file for about 6 months so there must be some setting somehow not letting WKWebView work in Intel XDK. I'm gonna try posting on the Scirra Construct forums to sort it out but thank you so much for trying to help me, much appreciated!!

0 Kudos
prathan_s_
Beginner

Hi Alex P.    

Did you try on test mode ?  Emulate mode for me always show black screen but on test mode run fine no any blackscreen appear.

My condition

- C2 R223
- Intel XDK 3240 + cordova wkwebview

Note :  You should back to use C2 R223 due to C2 R224 or upper ver. have issue about wkwebview.

0 Kudos
Alex_P_3
Beginner

Hi prathan s.

I should start off by saying that Emulate mode has always shown a black screen for me even back last year. This might be something to do with Construct and Intel XDK's compatibility. I tried it on test mode and it works but I'm pretty sure it won't include the plugins in that test just the local files which means I can't test WKWebView. So for the real test I just build the whole thing and throw it on my phone. As for C2 R224 onwards they work fine if I turn off WKWebView (or simply remove the plugins from XDK) so I think its fine to stick to it anyway. I just wish the WKWebView would work for the performance boost you apparently gain.

0 Kudos
Leo_N_Ng_
New Contributor I

I surrendered with Intel XDK WKWebView builds.

0 Kudos
Nhat_N_
Beginner

- I built with WKWebview plugin in  Intel XDK and C2 checked, whatever I did or followed above instructions, Black Screen display only.

- I built without WKWebview plugin in C2 checked  and Intel XDK. My app worked perfect on Ipad Mini 3 ios 9.3 , But it shows Black Screen only on Iphone 6 plus ios 8.x

Any news from this issue or New update of Intel XDK to fix this soon ?

Intel XDK : version newest 3240 
C2:: r227

I failed to build any apps with Intel XDK since the version 3088 released until now, then I switched to CocoonIO, it works for me so far. But I want to try Intel XDK new features.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Nihat -- updates to the XDK will not fix this. The problem has to do with the plugins. Note that Scirra recommends you include two other plugins with the WKWebview plugin:

• cordova-plugin-httpd
  • cordova-plugin-file

Also, these might be of value:

0 Kudos