Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Bug in Memory Error Analysis?

Samuel_Medwedski
Beginner
Hello,

when I perform an analysis on some code Parallel Studio on level mi3 detects an allocation deallocation mismatch.
I've dug into it and Parallel Studio correctly detected that a new[] operator was overwritten and converted to a malloc.
Since the code used new [] and delete [] and Parallel Studio resolved new [] to malloc it noted that there is a mismatch. Now what Parallel Studio did not recognize is that the delete [] also was overwritten and converted to a free resulting in false positives.
Is this a known bug of PS?

Thanks,
Sam
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II

Sam,

Thanks for the post. So far I have not been able to replicate the behavior. Can you let me know the version yand operating system you are running? To determine the version from the command line, run inspxe-cl -version.

Thanks
Rob

0 Kudos
Samuel_Medwedski
Beginner
Hello,

I am on a Win Xp 32 bit with Visual Studio 2008.
There is no inspxe-cl on my System so I only can tell you the version information from the About dialog in VS

Intel Parallel Advisor 2011 Update 1, (build 124239), Copyright 2009-2010 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel Parallel Amplifier 2011 Update 1, (build 127928), Copyright 2008-2010 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel Parallel Composer 2011 Update 1 (Package ID: composer_2011_update1.096), Copyright 2002-2010 Intel Corporation
Intel Parallel Inspector 2011 Update 1, (build 128785), Copyright 2008-2010 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The behaviour occurs in a quite complex framework where the call hierarchy is also quite large so I could not yet extract some sample that replicates this behaviour.

Greetings,
Sam
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Sam,

Can you update to Intel Parallel Inspector Version 2011 (Update 2) and attempt to replicate. The behavior may be resolved. You can download all updates for Intel Parallel Studio 2011 or individual components from the Intel Registration Center at https://registrationcenter.intel.com. If the behavior persists, then a code sample to replicate with would be great as the simple test I performed did not reveal a problem allocation and deallocation, but my system is running Intel Parallel Inspector 2011 update 2.

Thanks
Rob

0 Kudos
Samuel_Medwedski
Beginner
Oh boy, spent 15 minutes trying to figure out where I can view the list of all my registered software at the registration center and I still cannot find anything to download.
I have the feeling that the registration center gets more and more user unfriendly.
Is there a summy page where I can see my registered products? I expected to find the old VTune and Parallel Studio there but they seem to be gone.

Sam

Edit: Found it, the auto login on the registration page seems to malfunction since logging manually in shows my software list whereas the "Registered User Login" button fails

Will try the update
0 Kudos