Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

CMT vs. SMT vs. SMT vs. HTT... A complete mess with abbreviations

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I recently discovered that there is a complete mess with Multi-Threaded abbreviations: CMT vs. SMT vs. SMT vs. HTT CMT - Clustered Multithreading ( AMD ) SMT - Symmetric Multithreading ( Classic / Generic ) SMT - Simultaneous Multithreading ( AMD / actually does almost the same as Intel's HTT as far as I understood from AMD's docs ) HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology ( Intel ) My concern is that AMD reused a classic term SMT for its own Simultaneous Multithreading model ( also SMT ) for new generation of Processing Units ( Zen )! Why didn't AMD called it somehow else? For example, Unbalanced Multithreading ( UMT )...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I think that CMT abbreivation was coined by the AMD in order to describe their technology which Bulldozer CPU is based upon.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>CMT abbreivation was coined by the AMD in order to describe their technology >>which Bulldozer CPU is based upon... Yes, that is correct. An interesting news here is that in case of Zen architecture AMD finally "shifted" all efforts to SMT model.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

This year will be very interesting mainly because of Zen disclosure. I bet that Intel will have a hard time with that "beast".

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>> I bet that Intel will have a hard time with that "beast".. We know already that Intel has some problems with Skylake line of CPUs.
0 Kudos