Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Can I customize my own Realsense?

Jiahao_L_
Beginner

Hi there,

I am trying to build a customized 3D depth sensor module which basically is only for 3D imaging. So I don't need RGB camera or microphone. I'm looking into TI's OPT8241 solution as well, but the imaging size is not good as Intel's. The RealSense 640x480 pixels suit my need better.

Can I buy the 3D depth sensor and computation chip from intel and build the other circuits and PCB myself( just like buying CPU and chipset from Intel and customizing my own PC board)?

If yes, then how can I get the datasheet, design guideline of the sensor and computation chip?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is a PCB version of the world-facing R200 camera but it's not something that you can buy as a developer kit from Intel's consumer web-store.  

1.jpg

The smaller of the two boards is the more recent version of the R200, which was made small enough to fit in smartphone casings.

Intel are encouraging manufacturers to install the camera in their devices, but I don't have a contact name / address for who you would speak to about that or whether they would sell a single unit to an individual.

Edit: thinking logically about it, you would think that it would be possible to order an individual unit so that companies could build a single prototype of a RealSense-equipped device before "turning on the money hose" and committing to a bulk order.

Also, someone else asked about a data sheet for the R200 camera the other day.  Following the breadcrumb trail of clues provided by the info they gave, I managed to find a public specification page for the R200, albeit one with not much detail.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000016214.html

I also remembered that a year ago, I found someone on this forum some tech info about the camera's laser.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/realsense/topic/550893

0 Kudos
Jiahao_L_
Beginner

Hi Marty

Thanks a  lot for your great efforts of replying my questions, really appreciate it. 

I have had the thought that Intel might not be able to sell the raw material to individuals. However, I am here to see if it is possible to do this if it comes to company business. This is a forum for developers, chances are I went to a wrong place and asked a wrong question. Thanks for you help anyway.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I hope you find what what you are looking for.  I think others are looking for it too, judging by past requests from companies who want to incorporate RealSense into their integrated devices.

0 Kudos
Eli_E_
New Contributor I

Intel is indeed in the business of selling modules directly to OEMs/B2B (usually with volume requirements). It would be prudent to do some research on LinkedIn to find RealSense folks associated with marketing or business development. The customer support representatives on this forum are generally not involved directly with the internal RealSense business unit.

0 Kudos