Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Can't build or test in 3522

Shane_L_
Beginner

Hi,

I just downloaded 3522 on Windows 10 and it won't let me push my files "Invalid project"

or build

"Internal error- an unexpected internal error has occurred. etc"

I have shut down and reopened the XDK and restarted the PC but no joy- always the same.

The project is in the correct format (www folder and a package-assets folder in the root) and runs in the simulator, so I'm not sure what is wrong.

There doesn't seem to be a debug log to send in

I have previously used the XDK to build and publish apps so I am familiar with the full process.

Any help would be appreciated

Shane

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Shane -- I suspect there are some icon files in the <project-name>.xdk file that are getting in the way.

Do the following:

• exit the XDK
  • make a copy of the <project-name>.xdk file in the root of your project folder
  • edit the <project-name>.xdk file using a text editor (Sublime, Brackets, vi, Notepad++, etc.)
  • locate all the sections that contain references to icons (see an example below)
  • change those sections to be just an "icons_": [], entry -- make sure you preserve the comma!
  • save the project file (it needs to be a valid JSON file, if that's not the case it will not open)
  • open the XDK
  • add your icons back using the icon UI selector (in the package-assets folder)

This is an example of what you might find in that file, for icon references:

"icons_": [
          {
            "relPath": "ios/icon-small.png",
            "width": 29,
            "height": 29
          },
          {
            "relPath": "ios/icon-small@2x.png",
            "width": 58,
            "height": 58
          },
          {
            "relPath": "ios/icon-small@3x.png",
            "width": 87,
            "height": 87
          }
        ],

And what you want it to look like when you are done editing:

"icons_": [],

0 Kudos
Shane_L_
Beginner

Thanks for getting back so quickly. 

I'm afraid it's not that- this is a basic 'Wheel of Fortune' 'Twister' app- a single game.js file and I hadn't added any icons 

All of the references to icons_ were empty arrays in my climbingtwister.json file

Thanks

Shane

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Shane -- these icons are in an xdk file, not in a json file (it's a json file format, but the extension is not json). In the root of your project folder there's a file with the name of your project and an xdk extension.

0 Kudos
Shane_L_
Beginner

Sorry, I meant CLIMBINGTWISTER.xdk

No icons- I hadn't uploaded any. All of the values in the different platforms are empty arrays

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Shane -- I sent you a private message.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Shane -- thanks for that sample app. There is definitely something goofy going on with it, but I can't isolate what it is. The project-name.xdk file is not getting updated correctly and is also preventing me from switching between projects without an exit and restart of the XDK. Unfortunately, this is likely something that won't get fixed (although, I will report the bug) because the Game Asset Manager (GAM) tools have been deprecated and will be removed in the near future. After that your GAM project will be just a standard Cordova app, it will still build and work, you just won't have the game asset manager feature available to work with some of your game assets. --Paul

0 Kudos