Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Can't install Composer Update 2 on Windows 7 x64

neilhenderson
Beginner
Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 RTM Ultimate x64. I installed Intel Parallel Studio (parallel_studio_setup.exe) which installed fine, and then tried to install Composer Update 2.

However it hangs on the splash screen ("Reading Existing Licenses"). From Task Manager it looks like chklic.exe is the culprit.

From googling I found that this problem was apparently fixed by the Composer Update 2, but I can't install it!

My icl.exe hangs at the command prompt so I can't use Parallel Studio as it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - neilhendersonuk
Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 RTM Ultimate x64. I installed Intel Parallel Studio (parallel_studio_setup.exe) which installed fine, and then tried to install Composer Update 2.

However it hangs on the splash screen ("Reading Existing Licenses"). From Task Manager it looks like chklic.exe is the culprit.

From googling I found that this problem was apparently fixed by the Composer Update 2, but I can't install it!

My icl.exe hangs at the command prompt so I can't use Parallel Studio as it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

Neil,
Yes, this was a known issue that should have been fixed with the latest Composer Update 2, but apparently it isn't with your configuration. Let me investigate and come back to you soon.
Regards,
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Neil,
I guess you tried to install Composer Update 2 over the exisiting Parallel Studio. That's pricipally ok, the update should remove the old Composer prior to the Update installation. However, I guess there is an issue, so I'd recommend to uninstall the Composer via the Control Panel and thenrun the Composer Update 2 installation.
Hubert.

0 Kudos
neilhenderson
Beginner
Neil,
I guess you tried to install Composer Update 2 over the exisiting Parallel Studio. That's pricipally ok, the update should remove the old Composer prior to the Update installation. However, I guess there is an issue, so I'd recommend to uninstall the Composer via the Control Panel and thenrun the Composer Update 2 installation.
Hubert.

Hi,

Yes I was trying to install Composer Update 2 after having already installed Parallel Studio.

I followed your instructions and uninstalled Composer from the Control Panel. That uninstall program had the same hanging problem, so I deleted its chklic.exe file and got Composer to correctly uninstall.

However I still can't install Composer Update 2. It has the same problem hanging while saying "Reading Existing Licenses" on the splash screen.

I tried deleting the chklic.exe that is in the Composer Update 2 setup package. That lets me proceed part way through the installation process, but then it asks for a serial number or a license file in order to continue.

I tried entering my Parallel Studio serial number but the installer wouldn't accept it. I also tried selecting my existing .lic file but that didn't work either. I also tried the "offline activation" method where I entered my serial number and it gave me a code to enter on an Intel Registration web site, which then gave me an unlock code to enter into the install program. But that didn't work either.

So in summary: Composer is now uninstalled and I still can't install Composer Update 2.

Neil
0 Kudos
neilhenderson
Beginner
Quoting - neilhendersonuk

Hi,

Yes I was trying to install Composer Update 2 after having already installed Parallel Studio.

I followed your instructions and uninstalled Composer from the Control Panel. That uninstall program had the same hanging problem, so I deleted its chklic.exe file and got Composer to correctly uninstall.

However I still can't install Composer Update 2. It has the same problem hanging while saying "Reading Existing Licenses" on the splash screen.

I tried deleting the chklic.exe that is in the Composer Update 2 setup package. That lets me proceed part way through the installation process, but then it asks for a serial number or a license file in order to continue.

I tried entering my Parallel Studio serial number but the installer wouldn't accept it. I also tried selecting my existing .lic file but that didn't work either. I also tried the "offline activation" method where I entered my serial number and it gave me a code to enter on an Intel Registration web site, which then gave me an unlock code to enter into the install program. But that didn't work either.

So in summary: Composer is now uninstalled and I still can't install Composer Update 2.

Neil

With a bit of trickery I managed to get Composer Update 2 to install. However, icl.exe still hangs at the command prompt (and when launched from a Visual Studio build).

Here's what I did to get Composer Update 2 to install:

* Deleted the files in the Composer Update 2's setup "fli" folder
* Copied the 5 files in the "fli" folder from the original Parallel Studio setup package into the equivalent "fli" folder in the Composer Update 2 package
* Renamed "chklicv.exe" to "chklic.exe"
* Renamed "chklicv_libfnp.dll" to "chklic_libfnp.dll"

My thinking was that the license validation program worked fine in the original Parallel Studio setup, so why not just use that when trying to install Composer Update 2.

When I ran the Composer Update 2 installer it correctly detected my license file and allowed me to install. I then proceeded to install the Amplifier and Inspector packages (both Update 1 versions).

All went well and I figured it was good to go. But icl.exe still hangs.

Neil
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
The Intel Parallel Composer update 2 revised version has just released. Please download it and try again. It contains a bug fix related to Windows 7.

you can download it from Intel Registration Center or from our eval center.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
neilhenderson
Beginner
The Intel Parallel Composer update 2 revised version has just released. Please download it and try again. It contains a bug fix related to Windows 7.

you can download it from Intel Registration Center or from our eval center.

Thanks,
Jennifer

That fixed the problem. Thanks! Neil
0 Kudos