Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Configure retry_interval for software license manager

Paul_Matthias_D_
Beginner

We have a grid system where users can submit large batches of fortran programs for compilation and subsequent execution. The compilation of each program only takes a few seconds while the run time for the executables is much longer.

We're considering the intel fortran compiler (composer edition for linux) with the floating license option. The user guide ("Using the Intel® Software License Manager") says:

"When all license seats are allocated, a new license check-out request will retry every 30
seconds until a license seat is available to be allocated to the request"

If I understand this correctly, this would result in the following when submitting 10 jobs with 2 floating licenses:

time=0: 10 licenses will be requested, 2 licenses will be checked out, 8 will be queued

time=30: 8 licenses will be requested, 2 licenses will be checked out, 6 will be queued

etc...

time=120+a few seconds: compilation of the 10 jobs is finally complete

Considering that the effective time necessary for compilation is only ~20 seconds, this seems very inefficient.

My question: is there a way to reduce the wait time (retry_interval) or otherwise avoid the inefficiency outlined above?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Paul

Unfortunately the 30 seconds retry interval is not user configurable and hard-coded.

To avoid such long latency, you can try re-launch the compiler immediately if your compilation time is short. There is no license check when you run your executables.

Or consider purchasing more seats, see below article on recommendations of how many licenses do I need:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-many-licenses-do-i-need

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Paul_Matthias_D_
Beginner

Hi Yolanda,

thanks for the helpful answer. The compilation jobs come out of a grid scheduler, so just re-submitting jobs would lead to a bit of a mess. We'll think about how we can solve this issue.

Kind regards

0 Kudos