Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Conflict of MS Dev Studios?

jackosullivan
Beginner
Will installing MS's "Visual C++6 Introductory Edition" on the same machine as my 6.0A Visual Fortran screw up my Fortran's ability to produce releasable programs?

I want the C++ just for learning, but need the Fortran to help earn my living, and am very leery about mixing the "Introductory" version in with my full-blown Fortran.

Does anyone know for sure whether the capability, licensing, and distribution limitations of the "Introductory Version" (which comes with "Visual C++ for Dummies") would impose themselves on my Fortran install?

Thanks and God bless!
Jack
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We have no experience with this "Introductory Edition". Try it and see - the worst that can happen is that you'll have to reinstall Visual Fortran. Unfortunately, you can't install the C++ kit into a separate directory tree, as it will overwrite registry entries shared by the two products.

Steve
0 Kudos
jackosullivan
Beginner
Thanks again, Steve. I may get up enough courage over the three-day weekend I have coming up -- have to allow enough time and energy to wrestle with a potential reinstall.
0 Kudos