Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Creating Windows DLLs containing MIC offload code on VS2012

Linm_F_
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to build a Windows DLL that contains code that does offload to MIC. I managed to compile the DLL, but it failed (and I see that in my output directory a file called <dll-name>MIC.out has not been created). 

Tools:  windows sever 2012R2 , visual studio 2012, Intel Parallel Studio 2015 .

I create two projects: one is a DLL project inculding a function ,another is a main function which call the DLL.

DLL project: (demodll)

Export.h :         extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) double decode_process(int n);

Export.cpp: 

__declspec(dllexport) double decode_process(int n)
{
    double sum = 0.0;
#pragma offload target(mic) inout(sum)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < n;i++)
        for (int j = 0; j < n; j++)
            sum += i*j;
    }
    return sum;

}

Main function (Demo):

#include<iostream>
#include "../demodll/Export.h"

#pragma comment(lib,"demodll.lib")
using namespace std;
int main()
{

cout<<decode_process(1000);

return 0;
}

When I Compile the demodll ,   errors occured.:

5  error #10340:problem encountered when performing target compliation

3 error #1292: *MIC* unknown attribute "dllexport"                      Export.cpp

It means the Intel C++ compiler cannot  recognize the "dllexport"  on MIC , but if I comment out the words : #pragma offload target(mic) inout(sum), it succded

and the whole solution works correctly, which means the Intel compiler can recognize the "dllexport"  on CPU

Can anyone please advice me on what I can do that the Intel  compiler recognize the "dllexport"  on MIC ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Plaza_del_Olmo__Juli

I am basically having the same kind of problems, trying to build a DLL with offload code in VS2013.

It looks to me that the problem is that since MIC is linux-based, it does not recognize Windows specific stuff (dllexport, or in my case, it does not open source file "windows.h")

All I have found this notice

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/xeon-phi-coprocessor-fat-binary-for-windows-static-and-dynamic-link-library-with-offload

Saying that using older versions of Intel compiler , you need to handle .DLL and .so libraries separately.

Is there any tutorial or walkthrough to create a DLL using offload code? Or how to use .dll and .so libraries separately?

0 Kudos