Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

DLL and Fortran Runtime Libraries

Deleted_U_Intel
Employee
Does Compaq Digital Fortran provide a why to create a DLL using statically linked Fortran libraries? In other words, can I create a stand-alone DLL which does not require the DVF runtime libraries? I really do not want the headache of distributing both the DLL and runtime libraries.

Thanks,

John C.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You CAN do this - all you have to do is go to the Fortran..Libraries option and change the Run-Time Libraries setting from DLL to Static. We recommend against this if your DLL will be called from a Visual Fortran or Visual C/C++ main program. If it's being called from VB, Delphi, etc., then it's ok.

The reason for this is that you want to avoid having two copies of the run-time libraries in your executing application.

By the way, the name of the product is Compaq Visual Fortran. (And sometime next year it will be Intel Visual Fortran!)

Steve
0 Kudos
jlb
Beginner
I have tried to use Static instead of DLL in the Run-Time Libraries panel. But, when I call the DLL from a front-end in Delphi it does not run. I get the following message:
"Initialization of the program not successful (0xc000007b). Ok to stop the program.".
Of course, when I use the option "DLL", the initialization is correct and the front-end runs normally. Why?
Thanks
Jean-Luc
0 Kudos