Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

DXVA specifications for G45 chipset?

casimir666
Beginner

Hello,

I'm one of the authors of "Media Player Classic - Homecinema" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/). This open source playeralready supportDXVA bitstream decodingwith ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

We plan to add support for Intel G45, but we have to following problem : standard Gui for H264 bitstream decoder (DXVA2_ModeH264_E and DXVA2_ModeH264_F) didn't seems to be implemented on G45. Furthermore, calls to function GetDecoderDeviceGuids on interface IDirectXVideoDecoderService return 2 Gui that did not appears in Microsoft DXVA specifications : BCC5DB6D-A2B6-4AF0-ACE4-ADB1F787BC89 and 604F8E68-4951-4C54-88FE-ABD25C15B3D6. I guess one of the is for VC1, and the other for H264 bitstream decoder.

So my question is :does Intel use a specific protocol for bitstream decoder, and if so is it possible to have the specifications?

Thanks

Casimir

0 Kudos
48 Replies
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee

Ok, so it took a bit longer then I had anticipated, but dxva support for G45 has been committed to the mpc-hc repository on SourceForge. Multi-slice per frame encoded clips are still showing some corruption, and we are working on that. A big thanks to casimier666 for all the help.

I'll be posting a blog and whitepaper detailing the process.

Eric

A big thanks to Eric for his diligence, and to some of the folks who have been working behind the scenes to get this information released to the public domain. It's been a rough road, but I'm glad to see our commitment to the customer bear fruit.
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee

A big thanks to Eric for his diligence, and to some of the folks who have been working behind the scenes to get this information released to the public domain. It's been a rough road, but I'm glad to see our commitment to the customer bear fruit.

Thanks Aaron!

I've posted a blog entry on this subject at: http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/15/intel-clear-video-and-h264avc/

Eric
0 Kudos
Hopf__Gerald
Beginner
Thanks for all the progress on this, great work everyone involved !!!

Now all you need to do is support VDPAU (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA0Nw) in your Linux drivers and everyone will be happy and we will have acceleration on all platforms :-)

0 Kudos
angelina12
Beginner
Quoting - casimir666

Hello,

I'm one of the authors of "Media Player Classic - Homecinema" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/). This open source playeralready supportDXVA bitstream decodingwith ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

We plan to add support for Intel G45, but we have to following problem : standard Gui for H264 bitstream decoder (DXVA2_ModeH264_E and DXVA2_ModeH264_F) didn't seems to be implemented on G45. Furthermore, calls to function GetDecoderDeviceGuids on interface IDirectXVideoDecoderService return 2 Gui that did not appears in Microsoft DXVA specifications : BCC5DB6D-A2B6-4AF0-ACE4-ADB1F787BC89 and 604F8E68-4951-4C54-88FE-ABD25C15B3D6. I guess one of the is for VC1, and the other for H264 bitstream decoder.

So my question is :does Intel use a specific protocol for bitstream decoder, and if so is it possible to have the specifications?

Thanks

Casimir

I hope intel will understand the problem and give us property answer of it.

Wii games
0 Kudos
tcsenter
Beginner
Quoting - mavmarek
The point was (which I thought was quite clear and obvious if you had read my post...) and that is:
  • my $60 3450 ATI graphics card decodes blu-ray and DVD correctly.
  • The G45 doesn'tdecodes blu-ray and DVD correctly.

Make up your mind.You previouslystated the ATI card was HD 3650, which is in fact ATI's mid-range part in the HD 3000 series, and is hugely more capable than HD 3450. His point was a lot more valid;NO integrated graphics solution on the market at any given time can remotelycompete in any category witha discrete $60.00 mid-range GPU. Its guaranteed that a discrete $60.00 GPU will be far superior to any IGP solution that is within one generation of it, so your comparison is meaningless if not dumb.
0 Kudos
medac67
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

gasp!!!!!!!!!!!! you bought a89 dollar ati card and its faster than the video that comes with the motherboard???
im in shock

I have the exact same experience. Bought an Asus P5QE-EM motherboard with integrated x4500HD graphics, connected it via HDMI to my Samsung 40. Tried updating to the latest graphuics driver but the result is still the same: 30% overscan and crappy picture quality (actually slightly worse than my old optiplex GX520 with Intel GMA950!!!!).
Any budget Nvidia or AMD card would do a better job I think.

0 Kudos
grandadmiralthrawn
Greetings!

I would also like to voice my disappointment about the current state of GPU accelerated video playback on Intels GMA chips. I recently bought a Sony Vaio TT 11.1" subnotebook equipped with a BluRay drive, an Intel GMA 4500MHD as well as HDMI (and then retrofitted with an Intel X18-M SSD to make it even more expensive ;) ). Maybe I did not inform myself to well before purchase, but I thought that piece of GPU silicon would do DXVA in any case (at the time of purchase I did not know anything about DXVA "1" and "2" versions).

So, I would love Intel to make DXVA1 available in their Windows XP drivers, as the operating system is in my opinion the perfect subnotebook solution. If that would be the case, I could probably use the device for BluRay playback, because without GPU assist it is just not powerful enough (it's close, but still there are stutters, CPU is Intel C2D SU9600).

Please, make DXVA1 available for *all* GMA3/4 series IGPs to use this in Windows XP, either with Software like PowerDVD or better even Media Player Classic Home Cinema!

Thank you.
0 Kudos