Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Depth Camera NOT working

Shriswaroop_S_
Beginner

I tried testing my RealSense Camera in my laptop (Model - HP 15-r032tx) in USB 3.0 running Windows 8.1 Pro Operating System. It meets all the system requirements as mentioned in your website. Yet, When I open the Intel's Real Sense sample Browser and run any application that uses the Depth sensor my camera hangs and it doesn't respond to any later actions. When I reconnect and it and open in normal camera mode it works fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK several times still no use. I have Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 installed in my laptop. I tried using another Camera to check whether there may be a fault in my camera hardware but unfortunately the problem persisted with all realsense cameras. I am pretty sure the problem lies with some background running process. When not responding when I open the camera app and choose the realsense cam it says "Camera is being used by another application". I closed all the apps related to this camera and tried again. Same error persists. Please help and assist me so that I can develop my application using the Realsense Camera.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

There are few steps which you have to check,

• Please check if there are any pending windows updates on your laptops.
  • Check memory usage on task manager when realSense camera is in use.
  • Provide Application/System logs and provide error details if any.
  • If laptop has multiple USB 3.0 ports,try connecting to other port.
  • Are you using R1 or R2 of RealSense SDK?

Hope these suggestions/Questions will help you fix the issue with your camera/SDK.

0 Kudos
Shriswaroop_S_
Beginner

I guess I am missing some NuGet packages in Visual Studio. May I know what Packages I need to install for the RealSense camera to work? I am using R1 SDK. I have only one USB 3.0 Port. I have attached the image of error when I use the Capture Viewer with Depth Camera . It says that the device might be disconnected.RealSense Error.PNG

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It seems that the Depth function draws too much power from the USB port for the ports on some machines to handle, as they have insufficient power being supplied to them for high power drain functions like Depth to function.  As the camera cannot be used with powered external USB hubs, another approach is to use something called a Y Cable or Y Splitter, a cable that draws power from two USB ports to supply a single device.

Another contributing factor to Depth failures may be that Windows 8.1 has a setting in its power-saving plans in the Control Panel that cuts power to the USB port if it decides that the machine has become inactive.  A test I did this morning found that Windows does not regard RealSense camera inputs as activity like it does with keyboard and mouse, as it will go into power-saving mode if you are using the camera but not touching keyboard or mouse while doing so

I looked in my power-saving plan settings on Windows 10 and found that USB power-down was indeed active by default.

http://sambiglyon.org/sites/default/files/usb.jpg

I would recommend trying going into the power settings in Control Panel and setting it to never go to sleep, never turn the screen off and - just to be sure - disable the USB suspend function shown in the image link above too.  

0 Kudos
Shriswaroop_S_
Beginner

Thanks but still the problem is there. I am using Windows 10 now and I disabled the USB power down option and tried but again the same error exists. I tried using Kinect for Windows v2 and it works fine . Checked all the features of it and it works really good. I couldn't figure out what problem is causing error. :( I am reinstalling my Visual Studio now.

0 Kudos
Eric_P_1
Beginner

I had the same problem a powered USB hub fixed the problem for me.

0 Kudos
Jack_K_1
New Contributor II

Marty,

I looked on Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect and could not find a USB 3.0 splitter that was suitable - most seem to be targeting external disk drives and/or did not have a female connector that one could plug the camera into, i.e. I could not find a USB 3.0 splitter with the proper combination of connectors.  Since Eric found a powered USB hub that works, maybe this is an easier solution.

Eric,

Did you purchase the "AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter" you mentioned in another topic?  Others might find it helpful to have the name of a hub that is known to work.

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Shriswaroop_S_
Beginner

I will try to buy a powered usb hub and give an attempt. Thank you Eric...

​I hope it solves my problem as well.

​Regards,

​Shriswaroop.S

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yeah, I couldn't find a Y Splitter USB 3 cable that would be suitable for the camera either.  :(   So I guess if some people have had luck with a powered USB hub, it may be a better option to try than a splitter cable for people who cannot strip a cable and make their own custom-made one for the camera..

0 Kudos
Hasan_A_
Beginner

Shriswaroop, have you had any luck?

0 Kudos
Shriswaroop_S_
Beginner

Not yet. Didn't buy the Powered USB 3.0 Hub yet. Waiting for it. Hope it works fine !! Will inform as soon as it arrives.

0 Kudos
Sega_Liu
Beginner

I try to connect realsense to one of the  USB3.0 on my Asus x450jn notebook,

Device manager only shows VF0800, F200 Depth and RGB camera not found.

But when I try the connect it to the other USB3.0, all three device found. 

The problem is, when I run Capture Viewer, add all three stream, realsense keep shutting down.

capviewer.png

Then I bought a USB3.0 hub with extra 5v, 2A output power, connect again. It works fine now.

Funny thing is. Even i didn't connect the power, it still works.

If turn on all three stream but IR can only works on Y8, Depth and IR need to be the same size and fps.

Y8_REL cannot work with depth stream at the same time.

圖片 1.png

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, it seems to be a trait of USB ports that devices will sometimes work in one port on a machine but not another.  This isn't just USB 3 ones but USB 1 and 2 as well.  It's weird and a bit frustrating.

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Thanks for sharing this info. USB 3 is the standard now and laptop  vendors should upgrade to it ASAP with best hardware. 

0 Kudos