Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Depth vs Color Aspect Ratio?

Austin_C_
Beginner

What's the point of having an HD 1920x1080 camera if we can't even use the depth data for full HD? The depth data is 640x480.

So that means we can only use the depth data on a video feed of 4:3 so we will have ugly bars on the sides of our application.

Or we can only detect depth within a 4:3 area of the center of our 16:9 application?

Why isn't the depth data the same aspect ratio as the color data?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

The UVMAP will take care of it. You will have not ugly bars on the sides of your app.

0 Kudos
Thoriq_S_
Beginner

if you just want to use 16:9 aspect ratio, you can crop the video to be 640x360
and why the depth data is only 640x480, i think the depth data have more complexity than usual video data, thus it will need more time to be processed and using more time. so the resolution is reduced to accomodate the processing time

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

They are different sensors, so it makes sense that the aspect ratio may be different. Actually the region of the real world being captured is slightly different as well since the two cameras are in different locations.

Remember that you can't just simply use each pixel for each camera at the native streams, you need to either project the color camera to the depth camera, or vice versa. That will end up in a pixel aligned image, with the matching aspect ratios.

0 Kudos
Adi_P_
Beginner

I'll try your solution

Thoriq S. wrote:

and why the depth data is only 640x480, i think the depth data have more complexity than usual video data, thus it will need more time to be processed and using more time. so the resolution is reduced to accomodate the processing time

0 Kudos
Adi_P_
Beginner

I'll try your solution

Thoriq S. wrote:

0 Kudos
Thoriq_S_
Beginner

Adi P. wrote:

I'll try your solution

please let me now if it works

0 Kudos