Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Dialog sizes and system font size

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi,
I have one more question about dialogs from QuickWin. An annoying feature of Windows seems to be that the size of a dlg window but NOT its contents depends on the system font size setting on the computer displaying the dlg. Thus, when displaying a dlg created - and nice looking - on a computer set to "large system font" on an other system set to "small fonts" the last word in a static text may typically disappear. Currently I am using 2 versions of all dlg:s to handle this case. However this is quite boring ! Does anyone know a better way?
Lars
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Well, the fact is that one can never get stuff display identically on Large and Small fonts configurations. I think that what you're observing is a consequence of the fact that a text in, say, 24 point-size is not twice as wide as the same text in the same font in 12-point size, but less (since the spacing is relatively smaller in higher sizes). Atipically, you're developing on large fonts, so when moved to normal fonts the text gets relatively longer and gets wrapped. Theoretically, you could adjust your controls accordingly (WM_GETFONT/ SelectObject/ GetTextExtentPoint32/ MoveWindow) but that would require a big effort. I suggest that you either develop on normal fonts or set sizes of controls non-sparingly.

Jugoslav
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi Jugoslav

Thanks for your comments. I am afraid you are probably right.
I was (is) hoping that somehow someone had figured out a trick to minimize this problem

Lars
0 Kudos