Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Direct Access to PHI Via Port Forwarding

Eric_B_1
New Contributor I

Good morning:
I have a question and before I get too far I want to see if there is a might have a solution.

I want to forward ip comm from an incoming port like 192.168.1.1:5000 to the internal  mic address 172.31.2.254:22

So that i could ssh from a networked computer directly to the mic.

Such that if I let’s say ssh to nesbphi1.ndc.nasa.gov:5000 it redirects me to the mic0. 

I have tried the port forwarding and i just land at the remote host machine.

I am running MPSS 3.4 and centos 7.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JJK
New Contributor III

the .2.254 address is the address of the HOST mic adapter; to redirect to the MIC itself, use its IP address (usually .2.1). This works for my setup

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING  -p tcp --dport 50000 -j DNAT --to-destination 172.31.1.1:22

0 Kudos
Eric_B_1
New Contributor I

Ok thanks i have it now.

For others here is the procedure for centos 7. No IPtables since 7 uses firewalld

In the host machine ssh into mic# and ifconfig, this gives you the ip of that mic#

open a port on the host machine i used 51818.

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=51818/tcp --permanent

Enable masquerading, I did this both ways and it appears to work without masquerading but i was following this

http://www.tejasbarot.com/2014/08/05/rhel-7-centos-7-how-to-get-started-with-firewalld/#axzz3Xqx1JpV9

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-masquerade

Add you port forward

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-forward-port=port=51818:proto=tcp:toport=22:toaddr=172.31.1.1 --permanent

from a remote machine

ssh you@yournetwork.com -p 51818

Boom goes the dynamite.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Eric_B_1
New Contributor I

You can also use the GUI to do this which can be X forwarded 

cli: firewall-config

Select Zone Public on the left and change to permanent on the drop-down configuration at the top.

Add port on the ports tab: 51818 for my example

I enabled masquerading: Next tab

That will bring up the port forwarding tab:

Add:

Protocol : TCP

Port: 51818

check forward to another port:

enter mic IPaddress

and for ssh port 22

Also for the previous post don't forget

sudo firewall-cmd --reload

0 Kudos
Eric_B_1
New Contributor I

So lets continue:

The reason that i was doing this was because i was hoping to use port forwarding to redirect to the phi.

Which with SSH has worked but now i want to do MPI. I am using MPICH2 simple hello world.

I have opened port 51818 on both firewall (local machine:51818) and (Phiserver1:51818) and i can run the simple program.

i have set the export MPIR_CVAR_CH3_PORT_RANGE=51818:51818 

These are the only open ports and it's working so it must be going in there.

So i turn on the forwarding piece listed about that in ssh lands me on the phi.

so in theory still work and Hello world runs but not on the phi?

I realize that this is not compiled for the phi so i should be getting an error correct? Like cant execute this. 

So how do i get MPI to use the port forwarding?

Is there a simpler way that i am not seeing to use the server as a entry point for my local machine to run directly on a phi in that server.

I am aware that this would be easily done if there where all on the same net work but they are not. 

0 Kudos
JJK
New Contributor III

How did you compile, install and configure mpich on the Xeon Phi's ? which version of mpich2 did you use?

What kind of firewalld/iptables rules are you using to forward and/or block traffic?

Note that the Intel compiler suite includes its own MPI support which works out of the box, i.e. no special drivers needed.

0 Kudos
Eric_B_1
New Contributor I

How did you compile, install and configure mpich on the Xeon Phi's ?

I have not done that yet. I know that this will cause an error but wanted to see if i could hit the machine.

What kind of firewalld/iptables rules are you using to forward and/or block traffic?

rules are listed at the top of the post.

Note that the Intel compiler suite includes its own MPI support which works out of the box, i.e. no special drivers needed. 

My understanding was that MPI came with Composer XE Cluster, we are using PRO. 

>> mpirun -info

HYDRA build details:
    Version:                                 3.1
    Release Date:                            Thu Jun 19 16:35:22 EDT 2014
    CC:                              gcc    
    CXX:                             g++    
    F77:                             gfortran   
    F90:                             gfortran   
    Configure options:                       '--disable-option-checking' '--prefix=/usr/mpi/gcc/mvapich2-2.0' '--enable-hybrid' '--enable-shared' '--cache-file=/dev/null' '--srcdir=.' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS= -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-L/lib -L/lib -L/lib -Wl,-rpath,/lib -L/lib -Wl,-rpath,/lib -L/lib -L/lib' 'LIBS=-libmad -lrdmacm -libumad -libverbs -ldl -lrt -lm -lpthread ' 'CPPFLAGS= -I/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/mvapich2-2.0/src/mpl/include -I/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/mvapich2-2.0/src/mpl/include -I/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/mvapich2-2.0/src/openpa/src -I/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/mvapich2-2.0/src/openpa/src -I/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/mvapich2-2.0/src/mpi/romio/include -I/include -I/include -I/include -I/include'
    Process Manager:                         pmi
    Launchers available:                     ssh rsh fork slurm ll lsf sge manual persist
    Topology libraries available:            hwloc
    Resource management kernels available:   user slurm ll lsf sge pbs cobalt
    Checkpointing libraries available:       
    Demux engines available:                 poll select

0 Kudos