Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Doesn't always boot to the same resolution?

jduc
Beginner
For the life of me, I can't figure this out.

I recently purchased a new motherboard: Intel DG45FC

I purchased it because of the new audio chipset that it has. This board is supposedly designed with home theaters in mind. I can say that this chipset, over optical out, sounds a lot better than my iBase MB899.

More dynamic and a lot more drive. All good there.

I have one major problem though.....

It seems like 3 out of 4 times when I boot up, the computer will boot to the desired resolution: 800 x 600

The 4th time, it will boot to 800 x 480.

If I go into the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver panel, I can see that 800 x 600 is already selected...there is no option for 800 x 480.

95% of the time, I can fix it by picking 800 x 600 from the drop down (even though it's already selected) and hitting apply.

I have installed two different sets of drivers.

The ones that came on the CD, which were dated 7/something/2008, and ones from the web site for the graphics chipset, dated 6/10/2008.

Neither seems to work.

I have tried removing igfxpers.exe from the registry, but it didn't change anything. Also, I have noticed that igfxpers.exe is NOT running on start up. Should it be?

The diagnostics report is the same no matter if it boots to 800x480 or 800x600. However, the diagnostics report DOESN'T contain any EDID information.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Sounds mysterious, and likely related to the lack of EDID information. EDID tells the graphics chip what your display can do in terms of resolution.

In the absence of anything else working, I'd check out ResChange or the newer DisplayChanger.

You can set them up to always run after boot time and change to a specific resolution.

0 Kudos