Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Don't work m3u8

Elias_B_
Beginner

Hello! I have a problem. If I write the code

<video> <source src="m3u8 link"></video>

In Intel XDK than it doesn't work. But if I write this code in a simple html page than it works. And if I include HTML page through window.location it too works. Is it normal? For the tests I have this link: http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/bipbopall.m3u8

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Elias, you're referencing what appears to be an mp3 playlist that is referencing other playlists, it is not an audio or video file. Here's the content of that file:

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=200000
gear1/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=311111
gear2/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=484444
gear3/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=737777
gear4/prog_index.m3u8

Even if your phone or tablet would interpret that file, because the other references are relative references (e.g., "gear1/prog_index.m3u8"), it assumes those files are local to the device, which they are not...

A Cordova webview is not the same as running a web browser on your desktop. All resources must be local or must be explicitly downloaded into the webview environment. Many tricks that work with browsers and websites will not work in the Cordova environment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Elroy_A_Intel
Employee

Intel XDK only supports playing the default video formats associated to the desktop operating system. Intel XDK doesn't enable or disable any specific audio or video formats. I recommend researching your desktop machine's default supported video formats.

Also, you may want to consider testing your application on a mobile device as there may be different supported formats.

0 Kudos
Elias_B_
Beginner
Elroy Ashtian Jr (Intel) wrote:

Intel XDK only supports playing the default video formats associated to the desktop operating system. Intel XDK doesn't enable or disable any specific audio or video formats. I recommend researching your desktop machine's default supported video formats.

Also, you may want to consider testing your application on a mobile device as there may be different supported formats.

Thank you for the reply. I tested my app on a real device (android 4.4.2) and I had exactly the same behavior (Intel XDK code doesn't work, code on a web page works).
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Elias, you're referencing what appears to be an mp3 playlist that is referencing other playlists, it is not an audio or video file. Here's the content of that file:

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=200000
gear1/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=311111
gear2/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=484444
gear3/prog_index.m3u8
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1, BANDWIDTH=737777
gear4/prog_index.m3u8

Even if your phone or tablet would interpret that file, because the other references are relative references (e.g., "gear1/prog_index.m3u8"), it assumes those files are local to the device, which they are not...

A Cordova webview is not the same as running a web browser on your desktop. All resources must be local or must be explicitly downloaded into the webview environment. Many tricks that work with browsers and websites will not work in the Cordova environment.

0 Kudos