Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Double check: when is the floating licence seat checked out

Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
My company is interested in converting a number of single-user licenses to floating ones. I just need to make sure when is the floating license seat checked out. In this KB article from June 2010:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/when-is-a-floating-license-seat-checked-out-and-checked-in/

it says that

"For an Intel compiler product, the license is checked out (allocated) at the very beginning when compiler or debugger is started; and returned when the compiler or debugger work is *done*."

However, just 3 months earlier, in March 2010, in this Forum

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=72609

On question:

"For example, if I a have integrated Intel FOTRAN and Visual Studio 2008 am I consuming a licence whilst debugging, or does the licence only get consumed when I do a compilation?", your answer was

"Intel compiler checks out an available license only when compilation starts. "

So, which one is correct? Our developers use debugger a lot (well yeah, they should make less bugs), so the answer really matters for me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Igor_V_Intel
Employee

Dear Jugoslav,

I don't think that one of these statements is incorrect. First statement is for Linux - we have an idb there and the license can be checked out when compilation or debugging is started.

The second statement is about Windows package and VS. As far as we don't have standalone debugger on Windows, there is no license checkout during debugging.

Regards,

Igor

0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
I see, thanks. That makes sense indeed, but it could be made more explicit in the KB article. It requires good knowledge of your products and some reading between lines to come to that conclusion.
0 Kudos
Igor_V_Intel
Employee
I do agree. Will update a KB article. Thank you!

Regards,
Igor
0 Kudos
Robert_Thorson
Beginner
Also, if you are in doubt the license manager log file logs check out and check in of license. So you can experiment. And also some analysis of the log can tell you how close you may be coming to license limit.
0 Kudos