Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Error: Plugin Whitelist failed to install.

Darrell_L_
Beginner

Hello, 

I recently upgraded intel xdk to version 2807, and now builds fail,  I am trying to do an android build, here is the build log.  This error is occurring with all my apps, and not just one.  What changed, and what do i need to do to fix this?

The build failed.
An error occurred while building the application. Verify your build assets are correct and try again.
Build Log:
  • Building a Cordova 4.1.2 application.
  • The application name is "appname"
  • The package name is "com.pushtest1"
  • Plugin "cordova-plugin-console" (1.0.2) installed.
  • Plugin "cordova-plugin-device" (1.1.0) installed.
  • Plugin "cordova-plugin-splashscreen" (3.0.0) installed.
  • Plugin "cordova-plugin-statusbar" (2.0.0) installed.
  • Error: Plugin Whitelist failed to install.
  • Plugin "ionic-plugin-keyboard" (1.0.8) installed.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Darell -- when building with the XDK your build summary says you are building with CLI 4.1.2. The whitelist plugin that was added to your project by Ionic is not compatible with our CLI 4.1.2 build system. So you need to remove it from the project before you try building (or switch the project to CLI 5.1.1).

Go to the Projects tab and use the Build Settings to set the CLI version. If the "Cordova CLI Version" is set to 4.1.2, push the pencil icon to change it to CLI 5.1.1. I just did a test of the Cordova import function and it sets it to CLI 4.1.2 on import. I'm guessing that the Ionics tool must be adding the plugin directly to the plugins directory... (I don't have the Ionics tool setup on my system).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
javier_b_
Beginner

Hi,

I am using the same Intel version 2807 and I see the same error when building for Android.

The build failed.

An error occurred while building the application. Verify your build assets are correct and try again.

Build Log:

• The application name is "IonicMarcador"
  • The package name is "bt.marcador.iberia"

0 Kudos
Darrell_L_
Beginner

I thought maybe it was missing the the cordova-plugin-whitelist, i did 

ionic plugin add cordova-plugin-whitelist

It ran, and notified me the plugin was already installed.  

Tried another build, and it still failed. 

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

It sounds like you are adding plugins via the CLI command line, is that true? You need to add them via the GUI provided in the XDK for them to work properly. 

0 Kudos
Darrell_L_
Beginner

I tried adding the plugin through xdk, and i get the same error when building the app

0 Kudos
javier_b_
Beginner

I have not used the CLI to add plugins

I used ionic to create the project, then imported the project into Intel XDK and did not add any plugins later

JOHN H. (Intel) wrote:

It sounds like you are adding plugins via the CLI command line, is that true? You need to add them via the GUI provided in the XDK for them to work properly. 

0 Kudos
Darrell_L_
Beginner

I tried to create a test app to see if I could build that 

cordova -v 

Here are my steps

ionic start xdktest tabs

ionic platform add android

I imported this into xdk, and attempted a build and got the same error

Second Attempt

I modified the package.json  file, and removed the reference to the whilelist plugin

I got the same error.  I thought there may be caching issues, so i restarted xdk, and tried again, and I got the same error.

Not sure I can operate without the plugin, but I am not sure where the reference is coming from.  Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Currently the build system is only up to 5.1.1, so you will not be able to build 5.4.1 apps.

0 Kudos
Darrell_L_
Beginner

Hi John,  Thanks for the information.  How is the best way for me to fix my problem ?

0 Kudos
Darrell_L_
Beginner

ok, here is what I have done,

I have reverted back to cordova 5.1.1

with

npm install -g cordova@5.1.1

I tried to build the project and it gave me the same error

I created a new ionic from 

ionic start xdktest2 tabs

I added the android platfrom

ionic platform add android

I imported the project into xdk

ran the app in the emulator, and all look fine

completed build information

Performed a build for android, and I get the same error.  If this would have worked I would still be stuck to get my past projects working, but I can't build a new project

The build failed.
Build Log:
  • The application name is "xdktest2"
  • The package name is "com.xdktest2"
0 Kudos
javier_b_
Beginner

I have used ionic to build the app

ionic build android

ionic generates the APK file ok

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Darell -- when building with the XDK your build summary says you are building with CLI 4.1.2. The whitelist plugin that was added to your project by Ionic is not compatible with our CLI 4.1.2 build system. So you need to remove it from the project before you try building (or switch the project to CLI 5.1.1).

Go to the Projects tab and use the Build Settings to set the CLI version. If the "Cordova CLI Version" is set to 4.1.2, push the pencil icon to change it to CLI 5.1.1. I just did a test of the Cordova import function and it sets it to CLI 4.1.2 on import. I'm guessing that the Ionics tool must be adding the plugin directly to the plugins directory... (I don't have the Ionics tool setup on my system).

0 Kudos
javier_b_
Beginner

I changed the build settings as Paul explained and now the buil is successful :)

Build Log:
Building a Cordova 5.1.1 application.
The application name is "xxxxx"
The package name is "xxxxxx"
Plugin "cordova-plugin-console" (1.0.2) installed.
Plugin "cordova-plugin-device" (1.1.0) installed.
Plugin "cordova-plugin-splashscreen" (2.1.0) installed.
Plugin "cordova-plugin-statusbar" (2.0.0) installed.
Plugin "cordova-plugin-whitelist" (1.2.0) installed.
Plugin "ionic-plugin-keyboard" (1.0.7) installed.
App name updated to [xxxx]
Updated "minSdkVersion" with "14"
Updated "targetSdkVersion" with "19"
Updated "installLocation" to "auto"
Added "screenOrientation" to "portrait"
Added permission "android.permission.CALL_PHONE"
Updated "versionCode" to "23"
Updated "versionName" to "2.3"
Added "debuggable" to "false"

0 Kudos
Darrell_L_
Beginner

I was able to delete the whitelist plugin, and perform a build on my test app.  I created a new test app, and tried to switch my cordova cli to version 5.1.1 from version 4.1.2.  I got the warning message.  Does this mean, if I change the CLI to 5.1.2 on my actual app, I will not be able to add the new version the the google app store.  Do I never upgrade?

You just elected to upgrade to Apache Cordova CLI 5.x, which uses a new versioning method. If you HAVE PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED an Android-Crosswalk app to an Android store, built with CLI 4.1.2 or earlier, this change may impact your ability to publish a newer version of that same app! Please read Android and Crosswalk Cordova Version Code Issues for more details.
Because you're moving from Cordova CLI version 4.1.2 to version 5.1.1:
  • You'll get access to new network access whitelisting controls.
  • Your Crosswalk versions will be limited to a CLI 5.1.1 compatible version set.
Some plugin versions may be changed for compatibility with Cordova 5.1.1. Select plugins to update from the list below:
  Current Plugin Set (Cordova CLI 4.1.2) Recommended Updates (Cordova CLI 5.1.1)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

"Please read Android and Crosswalk Cordova Version Code Issues for more details." -- please follow the instructions provided in the original message...

Regarding the change in the plugin versions, with each release of Cordova CLI there is a new set of "core" plugins that are "pinned" and tested to that version. The XDK is simply recommending that you update these "core" plugins that are part of your app. I recommend you follow the recommendation to update those plugin versions.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Valery M. wrote:

I have an issue with the cordova-whitelist plugin. I´m using intel xdk 3240 and CLI 5.4.1. I managed to include the cordova-whitelist plugin as a third part plugin, no problem. XDK reported that was successfully installed. I ran the application under the debug tab, and everything went fine. The problem is that when I build the application (android) the generated APK did not include the plugin, so when I run the application from a cell phone (the APK  is installed without problems) did work since such plugin is missing. What can I do? Have you see this problem before?

The XDK will automatically include the appropriate whitelist plugin in your app, depending on which plugin option you choose (Cordova or Legacy) in the Build Settings. While you can include the whitelist plugin as a third-party plugin, we advise that you DO NOT do it this way unless you are an experienced Cordova CLI developer. The XDK will automatically translate your Build Setting whitelist settings so they work with the whitelist option you have selected.

The whitelist plugin only has meaning on the Android (and Crosswalk) platform. There is no whitelist plugin added to iOS or Windows platforms, the whitlist feature is built into those Cordova frameworks.

We highly recommend that you use the "Cordova Android Whitelist" option (see the Build Settings); the legacy Android whitelist option will go away very soon.

Are you adding a CSP tag in your index.html file? http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/security/content-security-policy/ explains CSP and https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/cordova-whitelisting-with-inte... contains some example CSP meta tags that you can experiment with. On some Windows platforms you have to use X-Content-Security-Policy, on Android and iOS you can use Content-Security-Policy.

0 Kudos
Valery_M_
Beginner

Thank you Paul. I tried with the Cordova Android Whitelist before asking the question but did not work. I also tried adding the CSP meta tag but did not work either. I also tried both, the cordova android whitelist and the CSP meta tag (although in https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/6.x/reference/cordova-plugin-whitelist/ is stated that for network request whitelist the inclusion is mostly historical), but did not work either. 

Perhaps the problem is that i´m trying to access via https a web site (with a self signed certificate) and I always get a 404 file not found error. If i change the access to http then the connection is established without problem. I read that Android browser do not accept https connections to self signed sites.

If you have any comment on this i will appreciate any help (although it might be out of the original question scope) 

Thanks you.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I suspect your problem has to do with using jQuery 1 and you need to upgrade to jQuery 2. See this FAQ > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/app-designer#ajax-jquery-one-fail

0 Kudos
Valery_M_
Beginner

My version of JQuery is 2.1.4   It is annoying: I managed to work out the https communication but it only runs fine when I use the Intel XDK debug tag... when I generate the APK does not work (error 13, Policy violation detected). Do you know why it is reporting such error? Why the intel security plugin works fine in debug mode and fail when the apk is generated?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I suspect your whitelist settings are the problem (and CSP tag). In the Debug tab those settings are mostly set to be "wide open" for easier debugging, but in the built app they follow whatever you've set in your app. I recommend you use the "Cordova Android Whitelist" setting and that you DO use CSP. See these links as starting points:

0 Kudos