Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Error message when running program just compiled

mstewart
Beginner
After compiling a program, my user tries to run the program and gets an error: "DFDEV caused an invalid page fault in module DM.dll at 017f:5360421d"

Anyone else see this error?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I am getting a series of similar error messages when I try to debug-execute a freshly rebuilt program that runs fine in non-debug mode.

The first error message dialog box is titled: "DFDEV.EXE no disk" and reads: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive DeviceHarddisk1dr1."

None of the buttons does any good. Clicking Cancel or Continue produces another error message titled "DFDEV.EXE application error", body "The Instruction at "0x50c18520" referenced memory at "0x65522065". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click Cancel to debug the program."

Clicking OK produces the same error message with 0x6c371351 and 0x00000004.

Clicking OK again kills Visual Studio. I was running Compaq Fortran 6.5.0 . An upgrade to 6.5.A did not help.

I am running Windows 2000. I have run CHKDSK /F (fix any problems) with a complete surface scan which did not help.

This error has me unable to do any work on this particular project.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I am getting a series of similar error messages when I build the debug version of a particular program, set a breakpoint and start execution of it in Visual Studio. The non-debug version of the program runs with no problems. Other progams I have work.

The first error message dialog box is titled: "DFDEV.EXE no disk" and reads: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive DeviceHarddisk1dr1."

None of the buttons does any good. Clicking Cancel or Continue produces another error message titled "DFDEV.EXE application error", body "The Instruction at "0x50c18520" referenced memory at "0x65522065". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click Cancel to debug the program."

Clicking OK produces the same error message with 0x6c371351 and 0x00000004.

Clicking OK again kills Visual Studio. I was running Compaq Fortran 6.5.0 . An upgrade to 6.5.A did not help.

I am running Windows 2000. I have run CHKDSK /F (fix any problems) with a complete surface scan which did not help.

This error has me unable to do any work on this particular project.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We've had a couple reports of the "no disk" message, but have no idea what causes it. Both of you, try deleting the .OPT file in the project directory, restart Developer Studio, and see if the problem goes away.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
[snipped]
[snipped]

Referring specifically to that msgbox; I've run into this too, though clicking continue or cancel a few times will resume debugging.
Search groups.google.com on the phrase "msdev.exe no disk", to get a possible explanation.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I did the Google search - saw a couple of VisualC++ complaints of the "no disk" error, but no explanation or resolution. If you have any information on this, we'd like to know!

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Reply to Steve L: Before I saw your msg, I renamed every file with the same name as my workspace (including the .OPT as you suggested) except the .DSW and the .DSP . The problem went away, so it was probably the .OPT.

This workspace directory tree has been moved around (placed under different root directories on different computers) so I probably introduced the problem myself in the move.

Thanks VERY much.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
The explanation I found was that the poster had created a project on D: (HD) on one computer, then moved the project to the C: drive on another computer. References to D: were peppered through the various project files, (.ncb, opt, .pch, .pdb etc.), so it gave the no disk error when debugging the project.
In my case, I believe the drive references got hosed somewhere in the process of making a backup to a zip drive, then copying the backup back to the HD. It gives me that dialog if I step into routines for which it can't find the source. I either just click the dialog a few times to proceed, or put in a zip cart and then it does not give me the dialog at all.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Project files don't normally contain specific disk letters, but I can see that one might be able to get disk letters in there through some means. If projects couldn't be moved between disks, the sample projects would never work.

It will be interesting, the next time one of these problems occurs, to look at the .DSP file and see what we can see...

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
I've experienced the same DeviceHarddisknDrivem type of error message under Windows 2000, but not with CVF.

MSDN articles Q159865, Q102418, and Q173997 kinda sorta discuss information about similar error messages, but not the exact one.

Mike Durisin
0 Kudos
mstewart
Beginner
Deleting the .OPT files didn't work. After compiling the program, the user tells it to run the .exe and that is when she receives the error. After receiving the error message basically she has to reboot the system otherwise all she gets is error messages when she tries to do anything.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
When you say "the user tries to run the program" - HOW is the user doing this?

What is the value of the PATH environment variable on this system?

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
In my floundering around to get rid of my error message, I renamed all non-source-code files in the project directory that have the project's base name except the .DSW and .DSP. These were .dep, .mak, .ncb, .opt, .plg and perhaps others. It worked.

What do you have under Project>Settings>Debug-Tab ? The 4 text boxes must contain valid filenames and paths if anything.
0 Kudos
mstewart
Beginner
After the user has fortran build the program, she will click on build, then clicks execute (filename) .exe.
How do I find out the value of the path environment variable?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Would you please send to vf-support@compaq.com a copy of the .DSP file from the project that gives the error? You can get the PATH value by starting a command prompt and typing the command SET. Please include the output with your support request.

Steve
0 Kudos
mstewart
Beginner
This error occurs with every project the user tries to run, it doesn't just occur with one particular project. We just installed Fortran on a Dell laptop running Windows 98. We were receiving errors each time we tried to compile a project. We were told to download the 6.5a patch and install it. We did that now projects compile, but they don't want to run. The user is ready to go on travel for the next few weeks and wants this resolved. She is ready to purchase another Fortran product to get this running.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
In that case, please send complete details to us at vf-support@compaq.com. Use BUGREPRT.TXT (in the DF98 folder) as a template and supply ALL information it requests. (I can't count the number of these we get with everything left blank!) Of critical importance is the values of the environment variables shown by the SET command. Also include the exact text of the error received and tell us whether the program .EXE can be run by double-clicking on it in a folder window.

Steve
0 Kudos