Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Expiration of student version

Brynne_N_
Beginner

Hello,

I am a college student and I recently downloaded the student version of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Cluster Edition for Windows. However, I was surprised to receive a notification last night that my license will expire in one week, only about a month after I downloaded it. I cannot find any information on the webpage about license expiration times for the student version. Navigating to a page about renewal options only tells me when my license expires, but does not tell me how to renew.

Is the student version supposed to expire in such a short time? Will I have to re-install the software every month, or is there a way to renew the license? 

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alexandra_S_Intel

Brynn,

First of all, student licenses are supposed to last 12 months, but I want to clarify that the expiration of a license is calculated from the date of registration, not the date of download. If you wait until 6 months after registration to download and use the product, you will only have 6 months left to use it.

Secondly, I looked you up in our database. You actually have four currently active serial numbers for student editions of Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Windows*. All four of them were registered in 2016.

1. Registered in March, will expire March 26th 2017. This is likely the one that you're getting expiration notices for.
  2. Registered in August, will expire this August.
  3. Also registered in August, one day after the previous one. Will expire in August, one day after the previous one.
  4. Registered in September, will expire this September.

So yes, you have a serial number expiring next week. But you have three others for the same product that will last until August at least. You should be fine. :)

- Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alexandra_S_Intel

Brynn,

First of all, student licenses are supposed to last 12 months, but I want to clarify that the expiration of a license is calculated from the date of registration, not the date of download. If you wait until 6 months after registration to download and use the product, you will only have 6 months left to use it.

Secondly, I looked you up in our database. You actually have four currently active serial numbers for student editions of Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Windows*. All four of them were registered in 2016.

1. Registered in March, will expire March 26th 2017. This is likely the one that you're getting expiration notices for.
  3. Also registered in August, one day after the previous one. Will expire in August, one day after the previous one.

So yes, you have a serial number expiring next week. But you have three others for the same product that will last until August at least. You should be fine. :)

- Alex

0 Kudos
Brynne_N_
Beginner

Alexandra S. (Intel) wrote:

Brynn,

- Alex

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the information and quick response. I actually had a very difficult time getting it to work on my laptop; I un-installed and re-installed several times, but I forgot that doing so doesn't release the licenses. Glad to hear that it will keep working.

Thank you,
Brynne

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

No problem, Brynne.

Just make sure you're actually using the correct license - i.e. not the one that expires next week.

If your license does end up expiring next week, you should be able to very easily fix it by manually replacing the license file. On windows, your license files will be in C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses

Our database says your student licenses for this product are the only active licenses you own, so that makes things simpler. Just delete everything in that folder, and then place the correct license file in that folder. You can obtain the correct license file by going to the Registration Center. There you will see a list of your serial numbers; the one you want (which expires in September) is the one that ends in a 3. Click on that serial number and you will be taken to a page where you should see a blue box that says "License File" and on the right hand side of that box there's an icon of an arrow pointing down to a line. That's the download button; clicking it will download the license file that expires in September, and then you can place that in your licenses folder, and Parallel Studio should continue to work for as long as that license lasts.

If you want to be cautious and not have to worry about it possibly expiring, you can go ahead and do that now. :)

- Alex

0 Kudos
Brynne_N_
Beginner

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the follow-up. After clicking on the serial number that ends in a 3 in the Registration Center, the page that I'm taken to doesn't have the button exactly as you describe. The top of the page says "Manage License." There are two hosts listed, and if I hover the cursor over the links, one ends with licensefile1 and the other with licensefile2. To the right of these links are the icons with the down arrows (the text reads "Download license file" if I hover the cursor over the icon). Does it matter which of the two license files for this serial number I download?

Thank you,
Brynne

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

"Does it matter which of the two license files for this serial number I download?"

Yes; your license is System Locked. This means that the license file is specific to the machine. If you install on a different machine, you need to make a new license file.

Each of those license file downloads will list the hosts for that particular license. The host is basically the value that ties it to the machine.

You need to find out what the host ID of the machine you're on is. If either of those licenses is keyed to that host ID, you use that license. Otherwise, you can create a brand new license for this serial number for your machine's host ID.

This link should help you.

- Alex

0 Kudos
Brynne_N_
Beginner

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your help! I was able to determine which license file was the correct one.

Thank you,
Brynne

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Glad I could help, Brynne.

Since your issue has been resolved, I'm going to close this thread. If you have another question please create a new thread so we can get to you in a timely and efficient fashion.

- Alex

0 Kudos