Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Exporting Inspector Problems state

tftung
Beginner
Hi,
I would like to know if there is any way to export the inspector problems state (e.g. those marked as "not-a-problem") and then we can carry these state to check the next release of the program without the need to go through marking the same set of "not-a-problem" again.
Those state are not saved in project suppression file and we cannot just re-use the suppression to filter out the "not-a-problem".
Also, the problem state always appear as "new" when the analysis is started by insp-cl.exe from command prompt. Is there a way to correlate the state (i.e. first time is "new", existing problems from previous run is "not fixed") from a previous analysis when started in command prompt.
Thanks.
Regards
Fu
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II

Fu,

We may need to know more about your usage model. In addition, there are various enhancement requests open for new and expanded state and suppression functionality. Are you looking to export the problem states (Not fixed, Confirmed, Fixed, Not a problem) from one Inspector project to another Inspector project? Currently, within a single Inspector project, if you change the state for a problem from New to Not a problem for example, the problem state is carried forward from analysis to analysis within the same Inspector project and for the same analysis type (mi3 for example) even if the line numbering changes.

In a simple test, I copied the results folder (named r013mi3) from one project to another similar project (same source files but slight line changes), then run a new mi3 analysis. In this case, an r014mi3 results directory was created and the states from r013mi3 were carried over to r014mi3. However, this was a very simple test.

You can also create suppressions. Suppressions can be copied from project to project. To do this, copy a .sup file from the suppressions directory from one project to another and run analysis to have the supplanted suppressions applied based on file name and line number. For example, create suppression rules using a unique name (inspector will create a unique .sup file using the name you provide) in one project and copy that .sup file to another Inspector projects suppression directory. There is an enhancement request to add suppression like functionality directly into the source code.

Additionally, you can have multiple .sup files in the suppressions directory which will be applied per the Project Properties Suppression mode (these options are - Do not use, Mark problems, Delete problems) setting. To apply suppressions, make sure that in the Project Properties dialog Target tab, the Advanced option named Suppression mode is select either Mark problems or Delete problems.

Sincerely,
Rob

0 Kudos
tftung
Beginner
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer. Its usage would be like carrying the states from one project to another. The whole project is a new checkout and new compile in every build without re-using that from the previous release.

It would be even better if there is a way to correlate different analysis from insp-cl.exe command. Say if we run a test with "-r test_01_result", then in next time we can have option to say test_01_result is the state of previous analysis, and we can the deduce the "New"/"Not fixed" and "Not a problem" state from previous test_01_result folder. It seems the state-carrying apply within Visual Studio GUI with single solution only, right?
btw, I am using Parallel Inspect 2011 update 2.

Thanks.

Regards,
Fu
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Fu,

I have added an enhancement request for this additional problem state functionality. I will update this forum thread if / when the feature is implemented in a future release of the product. Thank you for your input and comments.

Sincerely,
Rob

0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Fu,

Clarification on the request; were you wanting to use such functionality via the GUI or is having functionality via the command line sufficient?

Thanks
Rob

0 Kudos