Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Firmware installer failures - what is currently known

MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi everyone,

As numerous people have reported that the camera's firmware updater fails to detect that the camera is connected - I myself are among the people dealing with this issue - I thought I would gather together all the information about the problem that seems to be available so far.

*  A USB 3 port that is directly on the computer (i.e not a hub) is definitely required.  Most people seem to recognize this though and are using direct connections to their computer.

*  Once the camera is connected to a USB port, its imaging and audio drivers appear in the Device Manager and one may even be able to use it as a basic webcam (as is the case for myself), but the firmware installer still states that it cannot connect to the camera.  This would seem to defy logic, unless the message really means that it cannot connect to the part of the camera where the firmware is stored so that it can update it.

*  One community member reported being able to run the camera on a 3rd Generation CPU, so this suggests that it is not an issue with requiring a 4th Generation processor.

*  No amount of holding the camera in different positions and adjusting the cable as though holding up a TV aerial to get a better picture or jiggling the connector in the USB port seems to make a difference.  :)  This was a worthwhile suggestion though, since some USB devices do need cable wiggling to get them to connect to the computer properly - this happens with my tablet charging cable.

*  The majority of people reporting the problem stated they were using Windows 8.1, so it does not seem to be a problem related to people using an earlier Windows version such as 7.

*  It seems unlikely that it is an issue relating to needing the Gold version of the SDK rather than the Beta one, since the firmware updater file is downloaded from the internet separately from the SDK, and device firmware can usually be flashed without needing the help of an SDK.

If I find a solution myself, I will of course report it here immediately.  Good luck everyone!

0 Kudos
30 Replies
steve-vink
Beginner

Until this post I hadn't updated the firmware. I am running on a 3rd generation processor, Windows 8.1 with all updates. Here's my successful update:

• Realsense camera plugged in and recognised in Device Manager (3 entries)
  • Executed firmware update, main installer window pops up and status bar progresses
  • Command window appears asking if I want to burn a new firmware image. I type 'y' and press Enter
  • About 2 seconds later the camera disconnects and reconnects immediately (audible USB connect/disconnect)
  • Lots of dots indicate progress in command window
  • After about 15 seconds, camera disconnects (audio indication)
  • After about 2 seconds, camera reconnects (audio indication)
  • Command window closes, Installer ends.
  • Run face recognition demo in Visual Studio (C#), all running ok.
  • Green light and smaller red light on front of camera are lit.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Great information, Steve, thanks!  :)  Hearing details about positive experiences with the updater gives hope for the rest of us still working on it.  *smiles*

I would add to the above list that when installing the Gold version of the SDK, it checks at the beginning whether the camera is connected and warns the user if it is not, so this is another way that people can test whether the computer is detecting their camera.

Edit: as further helpful illustration, I took a screen-grab of the camera being used for live screen-capture whilst at my home at the same time as the firmware updater insists the camera cannot be connected to.

http://sambiglyon.org/sites/default/files/camuse.jpg

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I think it would be useful if an Intel representative could tell us how vital the firmware update is right now.  I can understand having the leaflet in the box saying that users should update, since someone might buy the camera six months from now when a significant firmware update has been released.  

It would be very useful to have clarification about whether the firmware version that shipped with the camera is functional enough for users to create a successful contest entry with if they find that they cannot perform the update.

0 Kudos
CLi37
Beginner

Is it necessary to update the firmware? I did not update but camera can work so far.Why not tell us how to detect the firmware version and check if it was need to update? 

0 Kudos
Avan_T
Novice

Big problem with this requirement for hardware: 4th gen, usb3.0, win8.1. I have 2 notebook cannot work with this requirement (with core i5, i3 gen 2nd,3nd processor).

big problem with 4th gen Intel Core processor. so this is not other way to work (==> only buy new....)

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Avan,

Steve-vink above has been able to run the camera with a Gen 3 processor (albeit not using RealSense's full potential), so there's hope for you there.  Windows 8.1 does seem to be an absolute, no-question requirement now though.

I'm going to try downloading the Windows 10 preview version tomorrow and see if it has enough Windows 8.1 compatibility to work with the camera.  If nothing else, it'll be an interesting piece of knowledge gained, whether it works or not!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

I believe that the download file - an ISO type file you burn onto a blank dvd once downloaded - is just 4GB, so within the capability of downloading on the average broadband connection within a few hours.  Might be a useful route for people who have Win 7 and don't have money to pay for Win 8.1.  IF it works!

Fortune favors the bold.

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

I've had the hope that I can use my 2 years old MacMini with an i7 gen 2nd processor but the cam cannot be initalized. The firmware installer also failures.
So I have to buy a new NUC.
Is an i3 ok or do I need a i5?
Do I Need more than 8 GB Ram?
I don't want to win a NUC later, I need it now :-(

0 Kudos
Yvan_R_
Beginner

Looking forward to finding a solution. No luck on either of two machines so far.

I'm attaching some bits for comparison.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Dirk,

I'm not enough of a Mac expert to comment with authority on it.  But I guess you're running the Windows-based software on your Mac Mini in an emulation skin like Bootcamp?

If I'm thinking right, the 'i' processor designation started getting used by Intel from 4th Generation and chips like "Intel Core" i3, i5 and i7?  (when "Pentium" became the budget processor brand).  If your machine is only 2 years old, I would have thought your i7 chip was G4?  I'm probably mistaken - like I said, I'm not a Mac guy.  :)

Given how technically tricky people are finding things on pure PCs, I'm not surprised a hybrid Mac would have issues.

As I understand it, anything with an 'i' in front of it, including i3, is a Gen 4 processor and will work.

And yes, we're all looking forward to finding out who gets a NUC  :)   I started expanding my machine with the necessary parts instead of taking the chance of waiting but I'd still love to have one.

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

Hi Marty,
yes, I'm running on the MacMini Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz
If I google for the processor I find
http://ark.intel.com/de/products/family/59136/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@All
that it is a 2nd gen processor.
So the 'i' in front of the name doesn't mean anything.

So for a nice developer NUC PC I have to spend in Germany:

Intel NUC Kit D54250WYKH :                              311 EURO
512GB Samsung 850 PRO 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA:  290 EURO
2 x 8GB Crucial CT102464BF160B DDR3-1600: 125 EURO
Total 726 EURO = 907 USD

It is an expensive challenge for me ;-)

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Yvan,

There's not much I can tell from the attached image (the txt one wouldn't open), other than that you and I both have the same Intel 6 Series chipset in our machines, and that your PC is presumably at least acknowledging the camera's existence, otherwise it wouldn't likely be displaying details about the depth camera manager service.  Hope we as a community can collaboratively find some solutions soon!

0 Kudos
steve-vink
Beginner

So...I have a 4th gen processor sat quietly in the corner that I didn't even consider :0 Dirk's post made me wake up and check it out.

I have a Macbook Pro with an i7-4960HQ and 16GB RAM. I have Windows 7 Professional running in VMWare Fusion.

So I can confirm - I have a fully functional camera running on a 4th generation processor, and it will not register in Windows 7. That is what the specification states, but it's good to confirm that this is not a specification that can be worked around. Incidentally the microphone registers, but the camera/sensors do not.

If I get the opportunity I will install Win 8.1 on a VMWare partition and do further tests and comparisons.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Oh yes Dirk, you're right, I didn't know the Core brand and 'i' usage went back that many years (just looked on Wikipedia).  Thought it started at Gen4   My apologies!

I guess if you can afford to treat yourself to a nice PC and are happy to do so for development purposes, then it doesn't hurt so bad  :)

0 Kudos
steve-vink
Beginner

As I understand it, anything with an 'i' in front of it, including i3, is a Gen 4 processor and will work.

Unfortunately this is not the case :( 

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have this fact burned into my brain for an obscure reason. My main line of work involves IBM iSeries servers, running on Intel Power PC processors. Intel named the new processors the iSeries too wen they launched in 2010, so now I work on iSeries servers that aren't powered by iSeries processors! What's worse is that the latest IBM Servers are called...i5 servers, but don't use Intel i5 processors, they use Power7 processors!!!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Steve, thanks muchly for the new details and confirmation of the strictness of the no-Win7 conditions.  Every new bit of knowledge helps us along  :)

0 Kudos
Shaun_S_
Beginner

I'm having the same issue. My PC has all the required hardware yet the Firmware Update stalls out and tells me the camera is not connected. I can access the RGB camera in the developer kit device via the standard camera application in Windows 8.1. I can even access either the RGB or Depth camera via Skype when I go to my Skype video settings, yet when I run the Firmware Update or SDK sample code/tools I have no luck connecting to the camera.

I'm trying to figure out what is the cause of this issue and have so far come to one of two conclusions;

(a) The sample code and Firmware Update are connecting to the hardware via a method that is not always true or possible for every machine, in which case it stalls and tells us the device couldn't be found as a default message when the connection times out.

(b) There is some software/driver/application that we all have in common that is conflicting with the camera initialization.

Edit: You can see a screenshot of the Firmware Update error below, this appears for a split-second in a command prompt window before exiting the update process and then showing an alert dialog box telling me the camera is not connected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu8mqiymu457ud3/FirmWare.png?dl=0

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

Just ordered a Intel NUC Kit D54250WYKH and hope the RealSense camera is it worth ;-)

0 Kudos
Yvan_R_
Beginner

Marty G. wrote:

That is incorrect. Intel Core processors with

• 3-digit model codes e.g. i3-530 are first gen (Westmere)
  • 4-digit model codes starting with 2 e.g.  i3-2100 are second gen (Sandy Bridge)
  • 4-digit model codes starting with 3 e.g.  i3-3210 are third gen (Ivy Bridge)
  • 4-digit model codes starting with 4 e.g.  i3-4130 are fourth gen (Haswell)

Haswell has been around for about a year.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes Yvan, Steve-vink above corrected me on my error in knowledge about what CPU gen the i-series started.  Thanks  ^_^

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I'm downloading the Windows 10 preview version now from the Microsoft website, which is a 3.84 gb file that you burn to a blank dvd and then install as a fresh OS (luckily I have a couple of spare PCs I can try it out on without risking my main workstation).  I can confirm it's free and all that's needed to download is to register a free Microsoft id on the website, if you don't have one already that you use in services like Windows Live.  I'll let you folks know how I get on with it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Edit: the Windows registration key-code for the Windows 10 preview is on the download links page that appears after you log in with your Microsoft id.

0 Kudos