Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Flash Issues & Remedies

MARC_B_
Beginner

The attached document describes some common issues and questions that have been reported and how they might be addressed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Harry_McG
Beginner

I can't seem to get micflash to work I get error when I try to do micflash -update <filename> -device all

Error manipulating coprocessors: Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor driver is not
 loaded or you have insufficient access

micsmc -s

Gives me an error C0000142 which seems to be problem with DLL

Anyone got any ideas, this is on Windows 10... I was goingto try under Unix to see if I can get it to work.

Intel PHI has no fan and is running on ASUS Z9PED* WS motherboard.

I can't find any bios option for accessing above 4 GB but Asus say motherboard is compatible with Intel PHI

Harry McGeough
Cider PC

0 Kudos
Loc_N_Intel
Employee

For Windows* system, please use the following: Windows* 7 Enterprise SP1 (64-bit), Windows* 8/8.1 Enterprise (64-bit), Windows* Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit), Windows* Server 2012 (64-bit), Windows* Server 2012 R2 (64-bit).

Also, make sure that your system meets all requirements specified in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/which-systems-support-the-intel-xeon-phi-coprocessor and the BIOS must support large Base Address Registers.

0 Kudos
Harry_McG
Beginner

I have no idea whether this card works, I've followed the instructions for installing on Windows. Windows 10 is not that different from Windows 8 from a PCI cards point of view.

Trying to install on Linux is very messy. I might give it another go,. I've been using openSuse 13.1. Which now seems to have stopped working.

Installing Nvidia Cuda cards on Windows is much easier and I don't have problems working out if the card is working.

I've pulled Intel Phi card out as bios on Asus Z9PED8 WS was complaining that a PCI express card was taking to much resources.

It's much easier to build a 3 x NVidia GPU card machine for rendering.

At the moment I'm thinking of selling Intel Phi card on Ebay.

I've sent email to Asus Chris Liang listed on Intel's website.

Harry McGeough
Cider PC - www.ciderpc.com

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

Harry,

We want you to succeed and will work with you to get your system up and running.

I suggest using CentOS. Many people use it with little problem. It is also straight forward to install; I installed it in a virtual box on my Windows laptop with almost no difficulty even though I was unfamiliar with both Oracle's VirtualBox and CentOS. A great number of our customers use CentOS even though it is not officially validated against, meaning that there is a large body of information in the forums as well as a large amount of expertise in the community.

Installing in any unsupported environment, even if derived from the other, will require additional work. Installing on a pre-release OS is going to be challenging as there can be substantial internal changes even if it is just a .x release.

The Intel Xeon Phi processor is essentially a conventional IA processor with an extremely large number of cores, and which runs a conventional OS, e.g. Linux. A conventional OS gives the user a lot of flexibility and capability but at the price of the added complexity of running such an OS.

A good place to start is the document that Loc suggests to verify that your system has the basic capabilities to support the card.

Regards
--
Taylor

0 Kudos
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

Harry 

I am not a Windows person, so I am kind of working in the dark, but your issue has me curious. So I did a little research. 

You said the "bios on Asus Z9PED8 WS was complaining that a PCI express card was taking to much resources". I am more used to seeing the message in Linux logs saying "mic 0000:83:00.0: device not available (can't reserve [mem 0x00000000-0x1ffffffff 64bit pref]) pci_enable failed board #0" but I suspect it may amount to the same thing. You get this message in Linux when memory mapping above 4 GB is not enabled. The only other thing I can think of that would cause a complaint like you are seeing is if something else were taking up all your memory. You should be able to install more than one Intel Xeon Phi card in your system without it complaining.

The "micflash -update" command needs to bring up the coprocessor card in order to perform the update. From the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor Intel® Manycore Platform Software Stack (Intel ® MPSS) User's Guide (Windows*) for MPSS 3.4.1, I see that this uses BootMIC WMI to load the driver for the coprocessor. In reading up on what WMI does, it sounds like the driver won't be loaded if any of the resources it needs are unavailable. So, if the card is unavailable, the driver won't load. Hence, the message you received:  "Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor driver is not loaded or you have insufficient access"

So I would suggest going back to the BIOS and checking the memory mapping limit. I found the directions for setting memory mapping above 4 GB for your board on the ASUS web site (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004170/). If that doesn't fix things, try temporarily removing what you have installed in the other PCIe slot to see if that frees up the required memory.

Frances

0 Kudos