Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Framework7 Version Update Request

Mitchell_Franklin
New Contributor I

Hi All,

I would like to put forward a request for the App Framework7 to be updated in the next release of XDK. The current version contains code fixes and enhancements on both the IOS and Material design. It does contain some new controls but know it does take some time to implement via the App Designer so was thinking of just the Framework its self for the next release.

I have updated the files for my projects to the latest and have confirmed that the current controls are not affected in the designer.

Ta

Mitch

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Mitchell -- I'll forward your request.

0 Kudos
Mitchell_Franklin
New Contributor I

Hi Paul,

Was wondering if an update was available on this one? just an FYI the framework has a brand new update with some really good enhancements and stability fixes :)

Thanks

Mitch

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Mitchell -- please see the October release notes:

IMPORTANT: With this release, the Debug tab, the hosted weinre server associated with the Test tab, and the Live Development pane located on the Develop tab have been deprecated and will be retired in the near future. When these features are retired you will no longer be able to use them with any version of the Intel XDK. Your project will continue to be recognized as an Intel XDK HTML5 mobile app project and it will continue to build (using the Build tab) and work within the Simulate tab. Follow the links embedded in each of the deprecated features listed above for more details and pointers to free open-source alternatives to these deprecated features.

In addition to our previously announced deprecation of support for App Framework, within the App Designer UI editor, we are also deprecating support for the use of the Framework7 and Ionic UI frameworks. You can still use these frameworks outside of the App Designer UI editor, as you have always been able to do with any UI framework. Existing projects that are using deprecated UI frameworks will continue to be recognized by App Designer and can be edited within the App Designer UI editor; however, there will be no bug fixes for deprecated frameworks and, once those frameworks are retired, the App Designer UI editor will no longer recognize those projects.

0 Kudos
Mitchell_Franklin
New Contributor I

Hi Paul,

Thank you for replying, I must admit I did skip over that part as I assumed that Framework7 would not be depreciated.

If I can could I please ask why?

Framework7 is the only known mobile framework that allows you to build a HTML5 application with the aesthetics of either IOS or Android inturn making it feel and look like a true device dependent application.

Now this is my personal experience and I am not speaking for anyone else however a great aspect of XDK is using the framework in the App Designer to quickly build the front end to allow for quicker development/release since less time is done in developing the look and more on the backend.

I understand you can use any framework manually however the designer for me is a real time saver and removes the requirements around verify each piece of html with the knowledge it works/looks correct first time.

I understand the decision has been made but felt it best to express my thoughts on this as an end user of XDK.

Thanks

Mitch

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

With the emphasis on IoT app development and IoT companion app development, we're more interested in functionality than in UI design. We need to focus our engineering design, maintenance and support efforts, and that focus is on solving issues related to building IoT apps and systems that support IoT apps.

0 Kudos
Mitchell_Franklin
New Contributor I

Hi Paul,

Thanks for coming back to me and letting me know, can I assume that the existing options for project setup, icons, plugins etc. will continue? or will this be altered removed in favour of IoT.

Ta

Mitch

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Mitch -- sorry, but I'm not allowed to discuss future features, it's against company policy. Roadmaps can only be discussed under NDA.

0 Kudos