Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Geometry rendering errors with 965 Express in Vista.

bizzybody
Beginner
The problem is very easy to demonstrate. Go to http://www.farb-rausch.com/productions.php and download the Final version of fr-030: Candytron and run it. (Note that this is Farb Rausch's only NSFW demo.)

All the geometry, textures, music and synthesized speech are generated on the fly from a tiny 64K program.

The drivers in winvista_1561 showed distorted geometry in a couple of places. The latest download winvista_157 has more incorrectly rendered geometry and is doing incorrect things with textures too. So far, the 965 Express is the only GPU I've encountered that renders Candytron with geometry errors.

I tried contacting intel by e-mail, but their response was basically that they didn't care that one of their current products can't do something correctly, even though the out of production 865G can render all the geometry in that demo correctly. (Though there are some effects it doesn't render, the geometry is 100% right.) Newer hardware is supposed to be better than older, right?

If you want a GPU stress test, try fr-038: theta The 965 Express runs this one perfectly, with large amounts of polygons with animated textures. I've seen it choke many standalone GPUs. (Many of those demos are cool ways to find out what your GPU can or can't do.)

If you think that the 965 Express having problems with some little demo isn't important enough to bother with, think of this response from nVidia... I have a GeForce 5500FX PCIe x16 card in one of my PCs and through several driver releases is had hideous errors with the Z Buffer and normals rendering backwards or not at all in the game, "Darkstone". I got tired of waiting for new drivers to fix it and sent them an e-mail about their drivers' problems with this old DirectX 5 game. I go no direct reply but the very next driver release 100% of the problems with Darkstone were fixed.

Why would nVidia care about ensuring such an old game would run correctly on a GPU so much newer? Because they're ERRORS, errors that left uncorrected could cause problems with other games and programs.

The geometry rendering errors the current 965 Express drivers exhibit with this little Candytron demo could crop up somewhere else in something like a commercial 3D graphics or CAD software, which would definitely not be a good thing.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Are you still seeing these issues with our current 965 drivers?
0 Kudos
bizzybody
Beginner
Yes, still there with the winvista_1511.exe drivers. I see they've been updated to winvista_15111.exe but I just get "Page not found" trying to download that. I've uploaded three screenshots showing the three segments of the demo where the 965 Express has the problems. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27748767@N08/
0 Kudos
valles
Beginner
I'm a big fan of the demo scene. In Vista go to the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effectsand turn off Enable Desktop Composition.
0 Kudos