Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Got camera working with the free Windows 10 and new PC parts

MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd provide an update on my latest adventures with the camera.  After over a week of getting nowhere with a 3rd Generation processor, I upgraded my PC today with a 4th Generation Intel Core i3-4130 CPU (socket 1150) and a Gigabyte H81M-H socket 1150 motherboard with USB 3.0, running on Windows 10 Preview.  The camera is now working perfectly, all the samples run, and Unity 4.5 no longer crashes or errors.

I'm not posting this to rub it in for those who are still having problems getting their camera working (I really, really empathise with you all, having gone through hard times myself).  I just wanted to pass on information to the community that the camera really does prefer a 4th Gen CPU and can work once it has one, and also that it plays nice with Windows 10 Preview.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Arun_D_
Beginner

Hi Marty,

Do you have a separate dedicated graphics card in you machine? For example dedicated nvidia or mad graphics? Or are you working with the default 4400 graphics card of i3-4130?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The camera worked fine with the default 4400 graphics in the CPU.  I think this was because the setup I had was similar to the Intel NUC mini-PC (except that I am running Win 10 instead of the NUC's Win 8.1).. 

I chose to add my existing Nvidia Geforce GT 610 video card to the machine afterwards though, simply because its power is superior to the on-chip graphics, and that worked fine too.

0 Kudos
Arun_D_
Beginner

​Hi Marty,

​I just installed windows 10 on my PC.

​The device manager is not showing the third entry in the Imaging devices. That is the virtual camera driver.

​The driver is seen in windows 8.1

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Are you using the Gold version of the SDK, Arun?  The virtual driver is not in the Beta version - it was introduced in Gold.

If I recall right, the Virtual Driver is only needed for specific purposes involving developing Augmented Reality applications and is not needed for applications that use the other functions like hand tracking, face tracking, emotions, etc.

0 Kudos
Arun_D_
Beginner

​Hi Marty,

And in the device manager its showing only two entries.

​Yeah it is the gold version. The same is working in Windows 8.1.

​The camera is not being detected by the samples because of that.

​I have downloaded the November update of windows. Is it by any chance because of that?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I downloaded my own installation of Windows 10 Preview in November too.  So it's not likely to be due to that.

I suspect it's not due to Windows but rather the SDK installation process.  During the various times I installed and removed the SDK during my period when I was struggling to get the camera working, the installer seemed to be a bit random about the number of modules it installed.  Sometimes it installed 29 modules, sometimes 35 and sometimes 39.  It always made me wonder what was missing when it was less than 39!  :)

Have you managed to successfully run the camera's firmware updater program yet?  And have you downloaded the other file that is not included in the SDK, that installs the SDK's audio capabilities?

http://bit.ly/1yMsQWI

0 Kudos
Arun_D_
Beginner

​Is the driver related to the sdk?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The release notes for the Gold version says:

"Intel RealSense 3D Camera Virtual Driver - The camera virtual driver is a Microsoft  Windows based AVStream driver that runs on the client machine.  The camera virtual driver allows non-SDK application to access camera streams as if they are connecting  directly to the camera and without blocking other SDK applications."

How I read that statement is that the Virtual Driver is designed to allow non-SDK programs on a computer to access the camera if an SDK program is running.  For instance, if you were running an SDK program that was using the camera and also wanted to use a program at the same time that uses the camera (such as a Skype video feed) then the driver lets you run both programs at once with the camera.

I might be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me.

I think the fact that the Virtual Driver was absent from the Beta version says a lot about how it likely isn't needed to build a RealSense project.

0 Kudos
Arun_D_
Beginner

Hi Marty 

thanks a lot for your help. The samples are finally running. The hand viewer sample also works but in that sample the device disconnects frequently

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Awesome, Arun!  I know how good it feels to reach that point where you have a working installation!  :)

0 Kudos
Arun_D_
Beginner

Do you have any idea for the device disconnected problem for hand viewer?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Here's a forum post about another forum member called Quentin who was having disconnection problems.  Various approaches to solving the problem are suggested in the comments.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/536682

0 Kudos