Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

HAX works only for the first ADT user

Wendy_L_
Beginner

I've successfully installed Intel HAXM on our 2008 R2 server, and it works fine for the user who first start up the ADT emulator.  ( the launch console shows "HAX is working ..." and it really runs much faster )

But all following users got " HAX is not working and emulator runs in emulation mode" and fall back to poor performance.

If we reboot the server, the HAXM works again, but only for the first one who launching ADT emulator.

It has nothing to do with the account or permission. The first launching user (not necessary 1st loggin user) always success, no need to be administrator, and not any specific account. This user can success even if he logout and login again. He also can start up plenty of emulators, all will has HAX working.

On the other hand, other users always failed to apply HAX, no matter the first launching user is online or not.

Only reboot frees the lock.

Any idea for this weird scenario? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee

Hmm. It sounds like the HAXM driver is being captured by the first user to use it, and not released until reboot (which makes sense). 

Unfortunately, HAXM isn't officially supported on server operating systems. You can find the list of supported OSes on the HAXM page at http://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager - Windows 8 (32/64-bit), Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows Vista* (32/64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit only) and Mac OS X 10.6 and higher.

A quick internet search didn't turn up anyone successfully using HAXM in a shared/server environment. I suspect that the hardware/driver-based nature of HAXM means that it can't be shared, just like two server users wouldn't be able to share access to, say, a USB keyboard or mouse.

I'll check with the HAXM support team, but I'm afraid this is not an officially supported usage, and we might not be able to make it work. 

0 Kudos
Wendy_L_
Beginner

So is this a operating system issue ?

The reason why we need to permit different user login is that not all of our PC are qualified to install this tool ( some are too old and has no "VT" feature. ). Installation is also restricted in most enterprise-scale company, especially this kind of tool need administrator permission to install.

Our approach is to build up several powerful machine, and let user remote access the the central developing pool.

Concurrent usage is just nice to have, not must, so if win7 can do the job, we can give it a try.

We don't have a win7 right now, could you help us to verify this? Just let another person login to your laptop, and see if it still works.

Thank you very much !

And very appreciate to this quick reply ! :)

0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee

It's not so much an "operating system issue" as it is a single/multiple user issue. VT is a hardware feature that's not really meant to be shared among multiple users (which is why multiple simultaneous users wouldn't work). And apparently, Windows Server doesn't release VT for another user to access until the system is rebooted (I've never tried this, but I'm inferring from what you've shared). The supported host operating systems for HAXM are Windows 7 and 8, Vista, XP, and Mac OS X 10.6 and higher. I recommend trying one of those, and seeing if you can make it work in your environment. 

Good luck, and let me know how it goes! :-)

0 Kudos
Wendy_L_
Beginner

Yes, it's a multiple user issue, but not concurrent multiple user issue.  

Windows 7 also allow multiple user login (not concurrently), isn't it?

I really want to know what will happened if it is on Windows 7, but I don't have one now.

If anybody here just happen to have one and share the testing result, I will be very appreciate.

I'll try to find one to try, but it's not easy to get a new environment (or re-install one) in our company.

I'll feedback here if any new findout, thanks.

0 Kudos
asmer
Beginner

windows 7 have same issue

I think Josh Bancroft was right , HAXM driver not released something or binding only one user ??

when i just "net stop IntelHaxm" and "net start IntelHaxm"  
HAXM seems work correct again for the second account 

0 Kudos