Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

HAXM Hotfix has a virus?

Casey_V_
Beginner

I tried downloading and installing this HAXM hotfix for my Windows 8.1, but my Webroot virus software detected W32.ROGUE.GEN. Is my virus checker reporting a false flag, or is this file really infected?

http://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager-end-user-license-agreement-windows-hotfix

My system was crashing when I used HAXM trying to emulate an Intel Atom (x86). I think I had it configured properly but I read that I need to install a hotfix for my Windows 8.1 machine. I'm tired of Win 8.1's issues so I'm going to try to get my Windows 7 machine up and running.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee

This is the first report I've heard of any issues with the HAXM binary. I've asked the HAXM support team to look into it. 

Would you be able to provide a copy of your antivirus log (or a screenshot of the alert)?

I'll update here when I hear anything. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Casey_V_
Beginner

I was able to install it. I think the extractor program (self extracting executable) might be the problem.

It seemed to have been pointing to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Download\HAXM\1.0.7\setup.exe"

I had to manually find an execute this file in order to get it to work. 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Download\HAXM\1.0.7\setup64.exe"

Perhaps because most people who use this are tech people, they figured it out and didn't report the issue(?)

Not sure why Webroot thought it had a virus.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the update. I checked with our team, and the binaries get scanned by several different antivirus products before they get posted. We checked, and they all still show the HAXM binaries as clean, so it sounds like it might be a "false positive" from Webroot (I'm not familiar with that antivirus product). Let me know if you'd like us to look into it further, but it sounds like it was a fluke. I'm glad you got HAXM installed, and I hope you enjoy the increased speed and responsiveness in the emulator with Intel-based Android images. :-)

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Probably AV has raised false positive when during the signature analysis.

0 Kudos