Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

HAXM install fails on Windows 7 - "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver"

Daniel_C_1
Beginner

I'm running into an unknown error when trying to install HAXM on my machine(Windows 7, Intel Core i7-2600, Asus P8Z68-M motherboard).  I've checked my BIOS settings to ensure that virutalization is enabled, and my BIOS and drivers appear to be up to date.  We also have two other developers here with the same hardware setup who are able to install HAXM, so it seems like something that should work for me.

I found the haxm_install_log.txt file and have included it as an attachment.  I looked through the log and the Event Viewer, but haven't been able to figure out what else needs to be done.  Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
72 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...According to ark.intel.com/products/52213/Intel-Core-i7-2600-Processor-8M-Cach... all virtualization features >>are supported... That's right and even Execute-Disable Capability is supported. Any comments from Intel software engineers? Guys, do you read our posts? I really would like to express my concerns regarding quality of support for HAXM software. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Attached is a Windows.h file ( in a zip archive ) from Windows SDK version 3.0 for a 16-bit WIndows 3.0 operating system and the header was modified on 01/06/1990.>>> Did not know this.Do you think that GetSystemMetrics can be responsible for the failed HAXM installation?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Do you think that GetSystemMetrics can be responsible for the failed HAXM installation?.. I don't know and because of this I don't want to make any assumptions. I will try to install HAXM on a system with Intel Core i7-3840QM. The CPU supports many Intel technologies ( 3rd Generation! ) and let's see what happens.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I will try to install HAXM on a system with Intel Core i7-3840QM. The CPU supports many Intel technologies ( 3rd Generation! ) and let's see what happens>>>

I suppose that the problem with "Failed driver installation" can be also reproduced on your system.

I suppose that the problem of HAXM installation failure(on newest CPU's) can be traced to some function(s) which are performing CPU features query.

0 Kudos
Jonathan_D_
Beginner

Hello,

I have a HP Z200 i5 Core. I deactivated the virtualization in BIOS and reactivated it after pullig the powercord out for about a minute.
Still I get a error installing HAXM.
Please fix the installer asap cause the emulator is killing me!... 

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
[ Jonathan's log file ] ... Property(S): VT_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed. Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information. Property(S): XD_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) or it is disable in the BIOS. HAXM cannot be installed. Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information. ... Jonathan, I did a quick check of your log file and could you verify on ark.intel.com web site that your CPU also supports Execute Disable feature?
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Still the same errors are present in Jonathan log file.DriverPackageInstallW is returning error code 0x2 and those strange errors regarding unsupported technologies on the CPU which supportes VT-x and NX bit.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Tao, >>...I will try to install HAXM on a system with Intel Core i7-3840QM. The CPU supports many Intel technologies ( 3rd Generation! ) >>and let's see what happens. Successfully installed HAXM driver and it is working. I'll provide some technical details later ( log and screenshots ). By the way, I didn't do anything special...
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Successfully installed HAXM driver and it is working. I'll provide some technical details later ( log and screenshots ). By the way, I didn't do anything special...>>> That's great.
0 Kudos
Chris_C_3
Beginner

Hi, I've just resolved this problem.

1. U should ensure that ur CPU compatible with the HAXM.

2. Check the drivers installation, such like intel MRT drivers are installed correctlly

3. If any error in the drivers, reinstall it correctlly

4. Try to install HAXM.

I found my intel MRT installation had some error in it, so I reinstalled and corrected it.

Everything seems OK know, I install the HAXM with no error.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...intel MRT drivers are installed correctlly... What are Intel MRT drivers? Please specify.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Interesting what caused the problem.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Tao, Please take a look at attached files. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Tao, I also used MsInfo32.exe utility to verify that HAXM driver is loaded and working: intelhaxmdriverstatus.jpg
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Sergey

I went through the whole log file and this there is no error returned by the DriverPackageInstall() routine.Could that error be the culprit of failed HAXM installation on supported CPU's?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I went through the whole log file and this there is no error returned by the DriverPackageInstall() routine.Could that error be >>the culprit of failed HAXM installation on supported CPU's? Unfortunately, I don't know. I hope that all our reports, discussions and assumptions will help Intel developers to fix some issues with HAXM Installer and Driver. PS: I would be very surprised if HAXM Installation would fail on a system with a latest Generation of Intel CPU.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Unfortunately, I don't know. I hope that all our reports, discussions and assumptions will help Intel developers to fix some issues with HAXM Installer and Driver>>>

Me too.

>>>PS: I would be very surprised if HAXM Installation would fail on a system with a latest Generation of Intel CPU>>>

That was the case of failed HAXM installation on IIRC Daniel's pc.

0 Kudos
Jasper_C_
Beginner

HI I am wondering if there is any solution or update to this problem. 

I also envounter ""Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver" when installing INtelHaxm, hoping to speed up Android simulator

My CP is i7 860 , and i have run MS hardware0assiated virtualization detection tool which comfirms that vertualization is on. 

Can anyone please give me instruction how to turn on the logs so that i can contribute and hopefully get this issue resolved soon? thanks!

0 Kudos
Tao_W_Intel
Employee

Hi, All,

We are working on a new version of HAXM which also supports Windows 8. It will be available on our site soon. There are many factors that could contribute to the "failed to configure driver". If you happen to have an issue on your sytem, please send me a direct message. I will send you some best known methods to try. Thanks

-Tao

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...We are working on a new version of HAXM which also supports Windows 8. It will be available on our site soon. There are >>many factors that could contribute to the "failed to configure driver"... As a feature request it would be nice to see a better diagnostic in the Installation Log-file of HAXM driver with as better as possible description why, for example, the installation failed.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>...We are working on a new version of HAXM which also supports Windows 8. It will be available on our site soon. There are
>>many factors that could contribute to the "failed to configure driver"...

As a feature request it would be nice to see a better diagnostic in the Installation Log-file of HAXM driver with as better as possible description why, for example, the installation failed.

Some clue can be obtained by inspecting the error code of this  DriverPackageInstall() routine.I do not know if only driver install routine can be blamed for the HAXM installation failure.

0 Kudos