Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

HAXM install fails on Windows 7 - "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver"

Daniel_C_1
Beginner

I'm running into an unknown error when trying to install HAXM on my machine(Windows 7, Intel Core i7-2600, Asus P8Z68-M motherboard).  I've checked my BIOS settings to ensure that virutalization is enabled, and my BIOS and drivers appear to be up to date.  We also have two other developers here with the same hardware setup who are able to install HAXM, so it seems like something that should work for me.

I found the haxm_install_log.txt file and have included it as an attachment.  I looked through the log and the Event Viewer, but haven't been able to figure out what else needs to be done.  Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
72 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nelson

I have found the error codes returned by the DriverPackageInstall function.Sadly there are no numeric(hex) values.I provide the link below

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544813%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0 Kudos
Chris_v_2
Beginner

Same problem on my machine. Any solution / workaround available alread?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Same problem on my machine. Any solution / workaround available alread?>>>

The whole problem is probably due to failed driver installation.Still I am not able to find the exact meaning of the 0x2 error code.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Same problem on my machine. Any solution / workaround available alread? Hi everybody, First of all I regret to see that the forum is almost not supported by Intel software engineers. They definitely read user posts and I wish to see more contributions and answers. Next, please try to verify what technologies your CPU supports on ark.intel.com web site. If it says No there is No way HAXM could be used. If it says Yes and still fails please provide an installation log and I hope that it will help Intel software engineers to understand what could be possibly wrong with HAXM. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Next, please try to verify what technologies your CPU supports on ark.intel.com web site. If it says No there is>>>

For example when you look at screen of supported features( Nelson's post) you can see that VT-x with Extended Table is not supported so this could led to the incompatibility issues.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... you can see that VT-x with Extended Table is not supported so this could led to the incompatibility issues... What incompatibility issues are you talking about? Please be specific. Yes, I saw the screenshot of the Intel CPUID Utility. Once again, HAXM driver can not be installed if some CPU technologies, like Virtualization Technology, are not supported by the CPU. My questions are: - Do you have Android SDK on your computer? - Did you try to install HAXM driver on a computer that doesn't support Virtualization Technology? ( You could even try it without Android SDK... ) I tried to install HAXM driver on a computer with Pentium 4 CPU and I could post a log and screenshot. Would you like to see it? I was clearly informed that CPU doesn't support VT and HAXM driver can not be installed. Thanks for your comments, Ilya.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>... you can see that VT-x with Extended Table is not supported so this could led to the incompatibility issues...

What incompatibility issues are you talking about? Please be specific.>>>

I'm talking about VT-x related feature  which is not supported by Nelson's CPU (Core 2 Duo).I do not know if this could be a culprit of the failed HAXM installation.I looked at log file presented here on this thread and I found that driver installation routine(DriverPackageInstall) is returning error 0x2 unfortunately I cannot find the exact meaning of that hex code.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I tried to install HAXM driver on a computer with Pentium 4 CPU and I could post a log and screenshot. Would you like to see it? I was clearly informed that CPU doesn't support VT and HAXM driver can not be installed>>>

Yes can you post it.

There is also case of Daniel please look at the picture of the processor feauters he has fully supported processor,but HAXM can not be installed.I looked through the log files and beside the DriverPackageInstall failure there is also information about (returned by call to unknown WinAPI function) unsuported virtualization and NX bit.This is strange because Daniel's CPU supports these technologies.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Tao, >>...For those who had same issue, you can log in to IDZ and send me a direct message or report here. Please provide a full >>installer log (haxm_install_log.txt which can be found in %TEMP% folder). I will send you a workaround for you to try. Did you provide that information? Why didn't you explain what these workarounds are on the forum? Right now these workarounds look like undocumented features of Intel HAXM and I think you need to be fully open with users.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...This is strange because Daniel's CPU supports these technologies... Yes, I saw it. That looks like a problem or a bug with Intel HAXM driver.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Yes, I saw it. That looks like a problem or a bug with Intel HAXM driver>>>

One of the Win API function which is called by the HAXM installation I suppose that I was able to identify this is GetSystemMetrics() (recently I have used this function) , but it is unknown for me which of the Win API is used to query the processor features.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...GetSystemMetrics()... It is a very old Win32 API function. It possibly comes from the times of 16-bit Windows operating systems ( versions 3.1, 3.0 and older / 1990th ). But, it is not clear if some flags which could be set for the function ( nIndex parameter ) are not supported by latest operating systems.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>...GetSystemMetrics()...

It is a very old Win32 API function. It possibly comes from the times of 16-bit Windows operating systems ( versions 3.1, 3.0 and older / 1990th ). But, it is not clear if some flags which could be set for the function ( nIndex parameter ) are not supported by latest operating systems.

No this function was first time used in Windows 2000 here is link :http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724385%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

These two sentences pasted from the log file look really suspicious to me.Unfortunately I was not able to indentify which Win API function was used to query CPU features.

>>>Property(S): VT_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.

Property(S): XD_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) or it is disable in the BIOS. HAXM cannot be installed

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...No this function was first time used in Windows 2000... I will look at very old Windows SDKs in my collection. Unfortunately, I see more and more errors on latest editions of MSDN. Anyway, it is a good thing to verify.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This are records from HAXM log file when I tried to install it on a computer with Pentium 4 ( it was a test ): ... Property(C): VT_Not_Present = VT not present: Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements... Property(C): NX_Not_Present = NX not present: Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements... ... Note: Full log file is attached.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Property(C): VT_ENABLED = 1 >>Property(C): NX_ENABLED = 1" >> >>which may mean that the installer has detected that virtualization is enabled. Not sure what else to try at the moment. I suspect that something else is missing in the log file even if both technologies supported in that case! Here are some technical details about Execute-Disable Capability of Intel CPUs: ( Note: Please ignore if you're not interested... ) Part 1 Intel(R) 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 3 (3A, 3B & 3C): System Programming Guide Order Number: 325384-044US August 2012 [ Page 93 ] ... NX: execute disable. If CPUID.80000001H:EDX.NX [bit 20] = 1, IA32_EFER.NXE may be set to 1, allowing PAE paging and IA-32e paging to disable execute access to selected pages (see Section 4.6). (Processors that do not support CPUID function 80000001H do not allow IA32_EFER.NXE to be set to 1.) ... [ Page 164 ] ... 5.13.1 Detecting and Enabling the Execute-Disable Capability Software can detect the presence of the execute-disable capability using the CPUID instruction. CPUID.80000001H:EDX.NX [bit 20] = 1 indicates the capability is available. If the capability is available, software can enable it by setting IA32_EFER.NXE[bit 11] to 1. IA32_EFER is available if CPUID.80000001H.EDX[bit 20 or 29] = 1. ... [ Page 1096 ] ... 31.10.4.1 Handling IA32_EFER MSR The IA32_EFER MSR includes bit fields that allow system software to enable processor features. For example: the SCE bit enables SYSCALL/SYSRET and the NXE bit enables the execute-disable bits in the paging-structure entries. VMX provides hardware support to load the IA32_EFER MSR on VMX transitions and to save it on VM exits. Because of this, VMM software need not use the RDMSR and WRMSR instruction to give the register different values during host and guest execution. ... Part 2 Intel(R) 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 2 (2A, 2B & 2C): Instruction Set Reference, A-Z [ Page 2 ] ... Enabling Execute Disable Bit functionality requires a PC with a processor with Execute Disable Bit capability and a supporting operating system. Check with your PC manufacturer on whether your system delivers Execute Disable Bit functionality. ... [ Page 210 ] ... 80000001H EAX ... EDX - Bit 20: Execute Disable Bit available ...
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

<<<I suspect that something else is missing in the log file even if both technologies supported in that case!>>>

HAXM installer is acting upon the return values from still unknown Win API function.I suspect that it could be simple false return value.When you look at Daniel's processor it is clearly stated that this CPU supports Vt-x and NX bit, but log file is telling us that these features are unsupported.If we could have been able to identify the exact call chain and function involved in gathering CPU information, but unfortunately without attaching debugger it is hard to understand what is really happening there.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>This are records from HAXM log file when I tried to install it on a computer with Pentium 4 ( it was a test ): ... Property(C): VT_Not_Present = VT not present: Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements... Property(C): NX_Not_Present = NX not present: Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements... ... Note: Full log file is attached.

Your log also contains calls to GetSystemMetric(), but there is no DriverPackageInstall() error code 0x2 and the information about the unsupported features is more clearer.

0 Kudos
Chris_v_2
Beginner

In my development team, we have 5 HP machines, windows 7 with Intel core i7 2600 cpu's @ 3.40 GHz

All machines (after activating virtualization in the bios) give the same error: "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver" when trying to install HAXM.

According to http://ark.intel.com/products/52213/Intel-Core-i7-2600-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz all virtualization features are supported

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>All machines (after activating virtualization in the bios) give the same error: "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver" when trying to install HAXM.>>>

Regarding "Failed to configure driver" message I'm not able to identify the error code which is 0x2.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Note: Sorry for a deviation from the subject of the thread. Let me follow up regarding that statement: >>...No this function was first time used in Windows 2000 here is link msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop... That is simply Not possible (!). A statement on online version of MSDN: 'Minimum supported client - Windows 2000 Professional [desktop apps only]' is incorrect and Microsoft simply deleted all the rest older operating systems. Attached is a Windows.h file ( in a zip archive ) from Windows SDK version 3.0 for a 16-bit WIndows 3.0 operating system and the header was modified on 01/06/1990. Once again, GetSystemMetrics() is a very old Win32 API function and comes from the times of 16-bit Windows operating systems versions 3.x and older.
0 Kudos