Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

HAXM not working on Core 2 Duo Macs: installs, but won't start images (black screen)

Seth_N_
Beginner

HAXM 1.1.0 is not loading x86 atom image on fresh Yosemite install (core 2 duo): it goes straight to a black screen.

I can run ARM images, but when I try to run an Atom x86 image (android 4.4.2, nexus 5 clone), it goes to a black screen and sits there doing nothing. The emulator output reports "HAX is working and emulator runs in fast virt mode" before going to the black screen emulator window.

Never had an older version of HAXM installed, so don't think its the "old haxm verison doesn't work on mavericks/yosemite" problem.

Details about my setup:

• "AVD_for_Nexus_5", Android 4.4.2, Atom x86
  • Hardware: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (Macbook Pro 17, mid2009)
  • Fresh install of Yosemite, no virtualization software installed besides HAXM
  • HAXM 1.1.0 for "10.9 and above" installed, downloaded from Intel's webiste yesterday
  • GPU: have tried both enabled/disabled with no effect: black screen either way

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Ionel_M_Intel
Employee

Try HAXM 5.1 (1.1.1). It should work with Atom x86 system image.

0 Kudos
Seth_N_
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion, I realized I am actually using HAXM 1.1.1 already, so I am actually having this problem with HAXM 1.1.1.... sorry for the confusion.

-Seth

0 Kudos
Matt_G_
Beginner

I'm finding the same thing here, also on a Core 2 Duo, using HAXM 1.1.1. Nothing I do will get the emulator to give me more than a blank screen. The log says HAXM is working, but then the emulator just seems to stall. Works fine without HAXM—if I take a working ARM AVD and change it to Intel, I just get a black screen in the emulator and Android never starts. I've tried a lot of different settings.

Any ideas? I've got an app I need to take a variety of different-screen-sized screenshots in, and not being able to use HAXM is making it an extremely painful process :)

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Matt_G_
Beginner

(Erroneous post removed.)

0 Kudos
Seth_N_
Beginner

Thank you so much for getting back to me on this Matt!

How much RAM are your AVDs set to use?

I tried reinstalling with the memory turned down to 1024, but unfortunately I still get a black screen. It does seem like there may be issues with HAXM on Core 2 Duo machines?

anyway, thanks again for following up on this... a promising lead even if it didn't work in the end :-)

-Seth

0 Kudos
Matt_G_
Beginner

Ah, no—sorry, it didn't work for me, either, which is why I quickly tried to delete that last post. (When I couldn't find a "delete", I changed the "Status" to "Not Published". I didn't realise that it would change back to Published for no readily apparent reason...)

What had actually happened was that turning the memory down to 1024 meant that my test AVD was too big to run under HAXM at all, so it had dropped back to software emulation without me realising. My joy at seeing the Android logo appear was crushed about ten minutes later when I realised the Android logo was *still* there because the software emulator was so slow that the phone was still booting. :(

So, no, no joy here. I'm afraid I've given up for now; I'm postponing my Android work in favour of iOS for a while.

Matt

0 Kudos
Seth_N_
Beginner

Matt, are you using Windows or Mac? I'll see if there's a way to report an issue/defect in HAXM, but would be good to isolate if its a processor issue, or if its a processor+OS issue. Probably everyone else has upgraded to newer processors :-P

0 Kudos
Matt_G_
Beginner

Seth N. wrote:

Matt, are you using Windows or Mac? I'll see if there's a way to report an issue/defect in HAXM, but would be good to isolate if its a processor issue, or if its a processor+OS issue. Probably everyone else has upgraded to newer processors :-P

(I thought it was worth repeating my SO answer here!)

I'm on a 2009 iMac: iMac 10,1; Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz; Yosemite.

Matt

0 Kudos
Seth_N_
Beginner

I booted my mac (2009 MacBook Pro 17", core 2 duo 2.8 GHz yosemite) into Windows 7, and HAXM seemed to work there with the same hardware. So the issue seems to be:

HAXM 5.1 does not work on Core 2 Duo Macs (running yosemite?)

-Seth

0 Kudos
Ricardo_S_
Beginner

I'm experiencing the same exact problem. ARM images work, x86 and x84-64 images don't.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.1 on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010). Latest Android Studio and HAMX 1.1.1.

Intel: Help?

0 Kudos
Doug_L_
Beginner

Same problem exists for me too.  Yosemite 10.10.1 on MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2008.

However, I was able to get a Nexus 4 arm configuration to work.  Nexus 5 or above wont work for me.

0 Kudos
Seth_N_
Beginner

I've renamed the thread to be clearer, but to clarify for an Intel people that may view this (how do we file a defect report?), I've looked up all the Macs involved so far, and they are all Core 2 Duo machines.

I tried booting my Core 2 Duo into Windows directly, and HAXM /does/ seem to work there, so the issue is with Core 2 Duos running OSX.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

The issue may well be with the nexus 5 avd?  Have you tried changing the skin setting to  WVGA800? Even if this doesn't work, I suggest trying a different AVD to see if it gives the same results.

0 Kudos
Matt_G_
Beginner

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for responding! I'd started to think I'd never get back to Android development...

I've just tried with the WVGA800 skin. As before, HAXM seems to launch fine, but the emulator never gets further than a blank screen, even if I leave it for several minutes (CPU is idle.) Gist of the console output here. I've tried it with and without the "Host GPU" option checked; results are the same.

I've also just tried with an AVD based off the stock '4.7" WXGA by Generic' definition, choosing Android 5.0.1/Intel Atom (x86)/WXGA800 skin. Same results. I've tried with other definition, skins, and settings.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Matt

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Try reading thru the various solutions to that message here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3073046/waiting-for-home-android-process-acore-to-be-launched - especially the 2014 ones. I know you've done some of them, but there might be something you didn't try.

0 Kudos
Seth_N_
Beginner

I have tried ALL of these (different AVDs, different GPUs, different GPU settings, etc), this issue seems like it may occur on all OSX Core 2 Duos.

The only "fix" I've found is either:

- Use a core i5/i7 Mac

OR

- Boot the core2duo mac into windows

-Seth

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

This has been escalated within Intel as a bug and developers will be looking at the issue.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_S_
Beginner

I have tried all the solutions and permutations as well, experiencing the issue exactly as Seth does. No x86 image will work under OS X 10.10.1 on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010, Core 2 Duo). Arm images work, but they are appallingly slow.

0 Kudos
Brad_A_
Beginner

I'm having the same issue on Mavericks, 10.9.5, so its not isolated to Yosemite.  I'm also on a old Core2 Duo processor (late model 2009 macbook pro).

Installed IntelHAXM_1.1.1_for_10_9_and_above.dmg, and v 5.2 of the Android HAXM component.

0 Kudos
Chris_C_5
Beginner

Hello guys I'm also having the same issue on Yosemite, 10.10.1. I own a MacBook Pro (mid 2009) with a 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

I also have installed the latest Intel HAXM_1.1.1_for_10_9_and_above.dmg, and the Android HAXM component.

What happens is that when I run the emulater I get:

/Users/chrisCole/Library/Android/sdk/tools/emulator -avd Nexus_5_API_21_x86 -netspeed full -netdelay none
HAX is working and emulator runs in fast virt mode
emulator: emulator window was out of view and was recentered

And the emulated screen of the AVD is plain black; I really need to start developing my app and this is bug quite a bummer! 
:((((

0 Kudos