Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Haswell NUC Prizes

Nikolay_S_1
Beginner

Have the Haswell NUC prizes for 1st Phase top demos already been awarded?

0 Kudos
52 Replies
steve-vink
Beginner

I hadn't realised these were round 1 prizes, but I just checked and there it is :)

Top Pioneer Prizes.

There will be up to two hundred fifty (250) Top Pioneer prizes
which consist of a Next Unit of Computing (“NUC”) device. Approximate retail value of
each NUC prize: $577.00 (USD). Use of NUC is not required to participate in the
Contest. Limit one (1) Top Pioneer prize per entrant.
Total: $144,250 USD. 

So all things being equal, there is a one in four chance of winning one of these prizes. If your idea is good or there is less than 1,000 accepted entries, your chances are greatly increased!

I hope it is announced when the prizes have been granted, to let others know they can stop holding their breath.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, I third that about how good it would be to have email confirmation of NUC winners.  I'm building my PC up with expansions like a USB 3.0 internal expansion card right now because I can't take the chance of waiting to see whether I won one of the NUCs, since I'm aiming to meet the Dec 17 early demo submission deadline (my RealSense camera arrived this afternoon)..

0 Kudos
Fritz_W_
Beginner

The Haswell NUC prizes have not been announced yet.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thank you very much for the update, Fritz.

0 Kudos
Basaveswar_K_
Beginner

steve-vink wrote:

I hadn't realised these were round 1 prizes, but I just checked and there it is :)

Top Pioneer Prizes.

There will be up to two hundred fifty (250) Top Pioneer prizes
which consist of a Next Unit of Computing (“NUC”) device. Approximate retail value of
each NUC prize: $577.00 (USD). Use of NUC is not required to participate in the
Contest. Limit one (1) Top Pioneer prize per entrant.
Total: $144,250 USD. 

So all things being equal, there is a one in four chance of winning one of these prizes. If your idea is good or there is less than 1,000 accepted entries, your chances are greatly increased!

I hope it is announced when the prizes have been granted, to let others know they can stop holding their breath.

Technically speaking that one in four chance of winning the prize may not be correct. It purely depends on how good is your idea and it should pass the threshold value. See the below clause, there could be less than 250 prizes.

Intel reserves the right to select fewer than one thousand (1000) Accepted Idea Submissions (and fewer than two hundred fifty (250) Top Pioneer winners) if, in its sole discretion, Intel does not receive a sufficient number of Idea Submissions that meet the applicable scoring threshold.

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Fritz,

Do you guys have a date for when the NUC prizes will be announced?

Thanks!

I received my RealSense camera, and have to say that this is such an upgrade as compared to last year's model.

0 Kudos
yak32
Beginner

How better is it? I see resolution is changed to FullHD, how about depth and SDK functionality?

I received, but currently don't have 4th generation CPU.. didn't noticed this requirement for competitions previously.

0 Kudos
steve-vink
Beginner

I received, but currently don't have 4th generation CPU.. didn't noticed this requirement for competitions previously.

I have it running on a 3rd generation processor. I'm sure if it was on a 4th generation processor it would be performing better, but it's running just fine.

I would suggest running all of the demos and seeing if they work for you on your configuration. Some of the SDK doesn't even need the camera, it will work from any video input. For example, emotion recognition works from my built-in webcam. Hopefully you will have enough functionality and stability to write your app :)

0 Kudos
yosun
Innovator

steve-vink wrote:

I have it running on a 3rd generation processor. I'm sure if it was on a 4th generation processor it would be performing better, but it's running just fine.

I would suggest running all of the demos and seeing if they work for you on your configuration. Some of the SDK doesn't even need the camera, it will work from any video input. For example, emotion recognition works from my built-in webcam. Hopefully you will have enough functionality and stability to write your app :)

likewise, on 3rd gen - i have it running on a retina macbook on bootcamp from a few years ago

0 Kudos
yak32
Beginner

I installed SDK to my Intel Ultrabook with Window 8,1 64 bit, camera actually worked, but only as web camera. SDK samples didn't recognize it it and only "emotion" demo worked with laptop's web camera. Seems like the only chance to build something for competition is to be lucky and receive NUC device ))    .. or spent around at least  700 USD on new hardware  .. or try camera from prev. year competition.

0 Kudos
daflippers
Beginner

8< or try camera from prev. year competition.

Except that camera isn't supported by the RealSense SDK!!!

David 

0 Kudos
Iulian_D_
Beginner

I'm also waiting for the announcement of the winners to receive a NUC. My current PC can not support the requirements of the RealSense camera, I will have to make an upgrade or buy a new one so I can work on my apps and be ready for the final deadline.

0 Kudos
Fritz_W_
Beginner

Sorry for the delay on this.  We've been heads down on getting the cameras out the door as quickly as possible.  We WILL be announcing the NUC winners next week.

Best,

0 Kudos
Alarcon_Palomar__Osc

Any news about this? I hacen't received the camera either.

0 Kudos
Alarcon_Palomar__Osc

Do you know if they have published NUC's winners?

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

Fritz W. wrote:

Sorry for the delay on this.  We've been heads down on getting the cameras out the door as quickly as possible.  We WILL be announcing the NUC winners next week.

Best,

I'll take the money. Have just bought a NUC for the contest.

;-)

0 Kudos
Alarcon_Palomar__Osc
Any news? I don't know why the announcement is delaying so long.
0 Kudos
R_Guth
Beginner

I hope we can get an update soon. The increased requirements for the camera means I need one of these and I've already missed a chance at the early deadline. I'm curious how many people are actually going to have something to submit for it with all the delays and issues with the camera, seems like there won't be much competition if you were lucky enough to get everything on time. 

0 Kudos
Alarcon_Palomar__Osc

R.Guth wrote:

I hope we can get an update soon. The increased requirements for the camera means I need one of these and I've already missed a chance at the early deadline. I'm curious how many people are actually going to have something to submit for it with all the delays and issues with the camera, seems like there won't be much competition if you were lucky enough to get everything on time. 

I think so. We will be lucky if we can submit something on early deadline. I received the camera last Wednesday. I don't have enough time to submit something testable.

0 Kudos
Richard_F_2
Beginner

Friendly nudge to remind Intel we're still waiting on this.

0 Kudos