Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How can I get back the native resolution 1440x900 of my HP w17e monitor, having an integrated Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller?

heike
Beginner

Hi,

My name is Heike. I have a DELL computer with Windows XP and an integrated Intel 82865G Graphics Controller. Recently I got a LCD monitor HP w17e with the native resolution 1440x900. I plugged in the monitor and the resolution was shown with the next booting of the computer. However, after a few weeks the resolution settings suddenly disappeared (I haven't installed anything new; I cannot tell what has changed, apart from the resolution...). I tried to use an older registry I have back-uped,but nothing happend. I checked the Intel and HP web pages for the most recent drivers, which I downloaded and installed. The resolution remainedat 1280x768.

I have no option in the configuration menu to set the resolution back to the native 1440x900 of the monitor. What is offered are: 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200 and 1920x1200. Ohn the Intel web page I read that there exist special drivers for the 1440x900 resolution, but for newer family chip generations than mine (95er and later, as far as I can remember). :(

I then plugged in our TV,after that the HP LCD screen again,and I managed to get back the native resolution. That, however disappeared again after the 5th reboot of the computer. It shows me that it is possible that the computer can use the proper resolution, but somehow it just won't want to do it anymore. I have no idea how I can set it back and KEEP the monitor's native resolution.

I downloaded the little tool MonInfo and post here the information I got, in the hope that someone can help me. (I also searched the registry for some old entries. I found the display settings of my old Sony monitor, which just won't want to be deleted, not even with administrative rights as I rebooted in safety mode... I really have no idea how to proceed.)

Greetings,

Heike

PS: I will attach some screenshots of the Property settings, the MonInfo Program and the Registry.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
heike
Beginner

Hi,

I just want to say that I was successfull and want to post the solution here for others who are in the same boat:

I found this site on the Intel web page:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/custom-resolutions-on-intel-graphics

I don't know much about Hex and did not find the inf file mentioned there on my PC. So I decided to try my luck with the registry. I did the search for "DTD" and found that the Graphics controller has 5 entries, but the fith (DTD_5) was empty (00 00 00...).

I opened the MonInfo Tool and went to the Raw Data of the LCD monitor registry. I copied the first 18 double digits into the fifth DTD entry of the registry and added the last two double digits 73 01, which appear in all DTD entries. I copied and pasted these digits to other entries of the registry the search would come up with. I also set the DTD Count to 5. I had to do this several times, too.

At the end I changed the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIGSystemCurrentControlSetControlVIDEO settings from the current settings to the native resolution of my monitor I wanted, that means the values DefaultSettings.XResolution to 1440 and DefaultSettings.YResolution to 900 (in Decimal,of course).

If you do the same, please don't forget to save a backup of your registry before you change anything!

After that,I rebooted the computer. Everything looked the same in the beginning. However, a look into the property configuration of the monitor resolution (right click on Desktop etc.) offered me a new resolution, which wasn't there before. :) Great!

I just hope that the configuration stays like that!!!

Heike

0 Kudos
heike
Beginner
Hi,
I just discovered that the resolution disappeared again, although the settings in the registry (as I have mentioned above) haven't changed. Does anyone have an idea what I can do? :(
Heike

0 Kudos
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee
Quoting - heike
Hi,
I just discovered that the resolution disappeared again, although the settings in the registry (as I have mentioned above) haven't changed. Does anyone have an idea what I can do? :(
Heike

Unfortunately, the 865 chipset is an older one and the only driver I'm sure works consistently at keeping the resolutions intact is the IEGD 8 driver (possibly the 9 works the same way).

0 Kudos
heike
Beginner

Unfortunately, the 865 chipset is an older one and the only driver I'm sure works consistently at keeping the resolutions intact is the IEGD 8 driver (possibly the 9 works the same way).

So there is no remedy? Nothing I could do about it? :(

Heike

0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - heike

So there is no remedy? Nothing I could do about it? :(

Heike

if you right click on the desktop and click properties then click settings does it show the monitor as default monitor or plug and play?

0 Kudos