Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How do you develop your HTML Multi-platform APP in XDK

Ian_C_
Beginner

Hi

Hopefully a quick question.  Trying to understand developers preference

You need to develop a simple HTML app that has several screens with a common menu structure in the header and common buttons in the footer

Do you…..

1. Develop the app using just one html page and have all the different pages inside div’s and use CSS to turn on & off the pages

2. Develop the app using different html pages for each page and copy and paste the header and footer on each

3. Develop the app using different html pages for each page and use server side includes for the header and footer, so its in place only

4. Or, something completely different.

Next question

What is your preferred framework when developing your HTML app?
jQuery, JQuery Mobile, Bootstrap

Interested in your comments and views on this

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andrea_C_
New Contributor I

Hi Ian,

This is my personal experience.

If you think that your app will be small, you can stick with one single-app page, but if you think that your project can be bigger, definitely proceed with a multipage-app, otherwise maintaining your project can be a mess. Another suggestion is to avoid to use the app designer. The app designer is a very powerful tool, but when you have a large code base, using it can be impractical because of the generated code. The best thing is to learn by experience: start practicing with the app designer and look at the generated code. Once you understood the process, continue developing "by hand". Concerning frameworks,  I used for my project Appframework but honestly (especially with the 3.0 version) is missing some features. A lot of people is very happy with Framework7, now the project has released a nice ui for Android that implements Material Design.

Andrea

0 Kudos