Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to deal with app too large to build

sam_w_1
Beginner

My app contains a large amount of video (roughly 5gb) and because of that the upload to the build server is failing. Its all working fine in the emulator, and its builds fine if I remove the video folder.

Is it possible to somehow build the app without the videos in, download the build and then add the videos back locally? I wanted to try this, but the unzipped build package  (for a windows build) is just a  .ps1 file, several  .psd1 and an .appx file. So there is nowhere obvious to put my video assets.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Adding such a large payload to your app is generally not advised. The normal HTML5 solution would be to stream those videos from a server, rather than including them in your app. You could also have the videos be downloaded and reference them locally. Putting them inside the application, especially such very large files, is not recommended.

0 Kudos
sam_w_1
Beginner

Thanks Paul.

It may not be recommended to have a large payload, but is there anyway of achieving it? Streaming from a server is no good for this particular application as it needs to be able to play video without being connected to the internet.

0 Kudos
Ramith_H_
Beginner

As intel xdk builds the app online, I suggest you to make the app through visual studio where you can create it using html5.

But if I'm right you can rename the *.appx file to *.zip and view the content inside.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@sam -- There is no way to use our build system to create such a huge package, we have a practical limit and 5GB goes far beyond that limit. You could do as @Ramith recommends, or use Cordova CLI locally, if that's what you need to do. I recommend you distribute the video files as a separate "blob" -- unfortunately, I don't how to do that for a Windows Cordova app. You might have to do some research for something like "Cordova Windows apps extra payload files" or something like that...

0 Kudos