Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

How to improve gesture tracking for closed fists with horizontal orientation

leon_m_
Beginner

Hi

I am not sure if anyone else is having this issue. I find that if I raise my arm in the air and close to make a fist i have no problem with the finger joint tracking. Though if I close my fist and sort of imitate a punch for example I lose the hands. Perhaps the finger / hand tracking might not be the best way to simulate a punch ?

Can anyone recommend some other way to do this. It is not important that I see the fingers, just the fists of the user

regards

leon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Have you tried tracking it as a blob?  See https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/Unity_Hand_Tracking.pdf

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If I remember correctly, the middle point of the fingers that are always visible when the hand is closed into a fist is Joint 2 (or JT2 if you are using Unity to develop your app).  So if you set all the fingers to track JT2 then the camera should never lose track of those middle knuckles (even if the hand is side-on) so long as you are punching towards the camera and not punching upwards so that the hand goes out of tracking range.

I don't think you'd even need to put the tracking on every single finger.  You could just put it on the middle joint of the middle or ring finger, since those two fingers are most visible when the hand is in a fist (as the pinky can get obscured and the thumb can get in the way of the index). 

0 Kudos
leon_m_
Beginner

thanks for the feedback

i will try this out

0 Kudos
leon_m_
Beginner

Hi Marty and Colleen

so this works but there are issues with each technique

1. Blob Tracking works well - but not for when 2 hands are visible in the camera FOV

2. Hand Tracking works well for tracking JT2. my problem is how to lock down the gloves so they don't end up in weird directions. I tried setting the x and y rotation constraints to allow the fists  to only move forward and back, but when i lose track of the hand and the fists appear again the orientation of the fists are out of synch and not fixed - they seem to not be able to orientate my fist object properly.

0 Kudos