Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

I installed chipset intel but forgot to restart my PC, will that lead to unstability/bugs/worse productivity/bad outcome later?

Maxim_S_
Beginner

So once I re-installed Windows 7 64 bit professional, I decided to instal chipset intel of course, but I accidently forgot to restart my PC and install audio realtek azalia drivers instead... The mere fact I forgot to restart my PC after installing intel, would that cause some fundomental bugs or overal worse compatability or worse productivity or a few percent worse working capacity, or some other unfortunate outcome that I might discover later?

I really hope I'm just overreacting over absolutely nothing, but I prefer be sure anyway.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Hi Maxim,

Are you talking about Intel Chipset drivers? If so, which drivers? Can you provide more details. Your question is a bit unclear.

If your question is about Intel Chipsets, I think the best place is the Intel Chipset support community. Here's the link: https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/chipsets

0 Kudos
Maxim_S_
Beginner

Yes, chipset drivers. It doesn't matter what drivers they are. The question is quite very simple. Is it bad that when I installed chipset drivers I didn't restarted the PC, but begin to install realtek azalia right after intel chipset drivers, or not at all?? Why Intel even ask me to restart PC after installation of chipset drivers to begin with, and would it cause some issues if I WON'T do it? I installed intel chipset drivers, it asked me to restart PC but I accidently declined and installed realtek azalia instead, and then I restarted PC. Would that cause any harm and/or instability to my PC, though?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... Is it bad that when I installed chipset drivers I didn't restarted the PC, It is OK if an Intel installer didn't requested it. >>...but begin to install realtek azalia right after intel chipset drivers, or not at all?? I think nothing is wrong but personally I prefer to do such updates as follows: - Create a restore point A - Install a software package A - Restart the computer - Check that everything is working - Create a restore point B - Install a software package B - Restart the computer - Check that everything is working - Etc - If something is wrong then you can easily rollback updates using restore points A or B, etc. In overall, one step at a time is better then many steps, especially when updates are critical, like a driver installation.
0 Kudos
Maxim_S_
Beginner

"I think nothing is wrong but personally I prefer to do such updates as follows"

That's why I better know for certain IF nothing is wrong or not.

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Maxim,

Sergey provided an error-proof algorithm to perform updates.

Some driver updates require you to restart to finish updates because they have to make changes to files that cannot be modified while the OS is running. They don't ask you to restart just because somebody thought it would be nice to make the computer user restart the computer. However, in some cases, it is not needed at all. It all depends.

0 Kudos