Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

IEGD: External panel, Internal LVDS (SOLVED)

alvinping
Beginner
EDIT (14 Aug) -- I found the proper values for the DTD, everything works fine now [[ almost ]] :-D --
I'm working with the latest version of the IEGD (by means of the 82852/82855 GM/GME chipset, WinXP Pro) and one internal LVDS, and one external LCD panel driven through a VGA output on the board. I've enabled DisplayDetect and PortOrder, setting the external having priority before the internal LVDS, which is all fine and good.
However, the resolution settings on the two displays seems unstable (especially if I change display settings in Windows and reboot), and often I am stuck at a Windows logon screen I cannot see due to monitor Out of Range errors or a corrupted display output.
I was wondering how to force specific timing modes on each display, 1680x1050@60Hz for the external and 1280x800@65Hz for the Internal LVDS, in combination with DisplayDetect and PortOrder.
Also wondering how to change display from the external to the LVDS, or vice versa, from within Windows without having to reboot. As of now, the only way for me to "choose" displays is to reboot and plug in or unplug the external panel before Windows boots, thus letting DisplayDetect take care of the switching. This is really annoying.
Thanks for your time,
Alvin
0 Kudos
9 Replies
alvinping
Beginner
I'm getting there.
Edid=0, EdidNotAvail=4to force the driver to use custom DTD's. Now all I need to do is write a valid DTD for my external panel :-). I would've thought FpInfo would take care of all of this, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.
Alvin
0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

It is generally a good idea to leave the edid settings to read edid- edid=1, edid_not_avail=5 which will cause the driver to look to any user DTDs and fall back to standard timing if there is nothing that applies. It is helpful to have the standard timings enabled which allows scaling to occur if you have a tranmitter that supports it AND to support VGA monitors. You then need to provide the FULL DTDwhich does more than just specify the panel resolution- it sets critical timing if the panel requires non-standard timing, however, most do use standard timing, so you must have a very differnt panel. With standard timing set and the FPINFO width and Height, we generally get a display on a panel without specifying a customer DTD.

We are in the process of releasing a better configuration utility with the 6.1 release of IEGD coming up in December '06 so watch for that to become avaialble. It will help you to enter a DTD properly assuming you have you panel specs.

Something like a DVI or analog VGAwill alomost always have EDID information that allows the driver to auto configure to the display. It is rare to have an LVDS with edid but they do exist.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
alvinping
Beginner
Hi,
I have since written a DTD with complete parameters for this monitor and almost everything is running up to speed. A simple Google search came up with all the timing details I needed. My monitor is a Viewsonic VX2025wm running at 1680x1050. My computer, however, is one that is known to have problems with that resolution - a Dell Inspiron 700m - and many users have complained to Dell because their new 2007FPW (also 1680x1050) can't run at its native resolution.
For some reason the graphics controller in our computers (82852/82855 GM/GME) will not output 1680x1050; moreover, that specific timing is not coded into the VBIOS table either, so custom settings are the only way to go. I spent about a month trying to find alternate ways before finally learning about the IEGD and testing it on my own system.
My only real gripe with custom DTD's is that they take precedence over resolution changes within Windows; i.e. if a game, music visualizer, or other application changes the screen resolution, it will become a bordered image within a 1680x1050 frame - no scaling. Otherwise, decreased graphics performance, BSOD's, and tedious workarounds are something I can live with if it means I get 1680x1050 on my desktop.
-Alvin
0 Kudos
neat
Beginner
Hi guys,

Can you please give more details about this issue. I'm having a similar problem with a G965 chipset and a Dell E207 display: I cannot set the native resolution of 1680x1050.

If you can post step by step instructions will be great. I have no idea where to start.

Thanks,
ne@
0 Kudos
alvinping
Beginner
Hi,
Keep in mind thatby using the IEGD in this manner, external monitor detection will not work properly, extended desktop will many times cause fatal errors, monitor scaling willno longer be available, graphic-intense applications are impaired, among other things. On the upside, you will finally be able to see 1680x1050 on your external panel.
Iwrote an introduction to the processin a post onthe Dell forums, which you can find here:
If you decide you still want to install the IEGD, feel free to reply or email me if you have specific questions. Otherwise, I would just purchase a 1600x1200 LCD paneland avoid the hassle altogether. If you plan on swapping between internal and external displays frequently, or if you play games on your laptop, this workaround may prove to be more of a hassle than it's worth. If your laptop acts mainly as a desktop replacement and you use it for the Internet, watching movies, editing audio/video/photos,or other non-gaming-related tasks, this may be something worth looking into.
Best,
Alvin
0 Kudos
neat
Beginner
Hi Alvin,

Actually I'm using the Dell monitor on a desktop and not a laptop.

There a really strange thing happening latelly with it. I turn on the computer in the evening when I get home and I can get the 1680x1050 resolution. If I reboot, the resolution is gone, cannot set it back again to 1680x1050. The next evening I turn on the computer I can get the 1680x1050 againg, until I reboot. It looks like if the PC is off some some time, when I turn it on I can the desired resolution.

And another thing, in the Device Manager I see 2 monitors, even if I have only 1. Even if I unistall one of them, after rebooting it gets installed again.

About my PC: I have a Intel DG965WH motherboard with on-board video card (X3000 I think). I tried also to install the driver that comes with the monitor, but the same thing. I also updated the motherboard and video card drivers from Intel website.

What will be best thing to do to have the 1680x1050 resolution all the time and not having these problems again. Are there any settings I can make to "block" somehow that resolution? Or using the IEGD? What will be your recommendation? I don't know. I'm confused (and mad in the same time).

Thanks,
ne@
0 Kudos
alvinping
Beginner
Hi,
If you are able to get 1680x1050 at any point, then it is not necessary to install the IEGD. It seems that your integrated videodriver is not consistently reading the EDID (i.e. capable resolutions and settings) sent from the monitor, in which case the driver resorts to default resolutions, of which 1680x1050 is not one.
I have read documentation that said something to the effect that if one forces a nonstandard resolution, even though it may work at first, the video card erases the settings (DTD's, or Detailed Timing Descriptors) to avoid damaging any hardware. This may be what's happening in your case, thevideocardreads the EDID and displays the resolution, but upon reboot deletes the DTD's.
Unfortunately I don't know how to force the resolution when the video driver won't allow it. You may be left to make compromises; that is, employ standby and/or hibernation throughout the day when the PC is not in use, and shut down at night - but consider yourself lucky for even being able to select the resolution in the first place. Are you able to select 1680x1050 after Standby or hibernation?
As for the multiple monitor listings, this is normal, as one of them acts asthe driver for extended desktop display and/or TV output.
Hope this helps,
-Alvin
0 Kudos
asconiga
Beginner

Hello. I Have the same ploblem. But i can`t set the resolution to 1680x1050 . I Have the viewsonic VG2030Wm (widescreen) with The intel DG965wh motherboard.

The onboard video card support this resolution?..

What I have to do?

Sorry for my English....

Hernan

visit

www.desordenpublico.net

0 Kudos
alvinping
Beginner
I believe that board uses the GMA X3000 embedded chipset which, apparently, doesn't properly support 1680x1050. You may have to resort to the IEGD workaround, which I detailed in my previous post. Be sure to follow the link to my post on the Dell forums, which goes into greater depth.
Best,
-Alvin
0 Kudos