Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Init Failed

Yassir_J_
Beginner

Hi,

I received my sensor (F200) yesterday and have been eager to get up and running. The camera shows up in Win8.1, installs, appears in device manager, however the sample apps either fails init or runs for 2-3 seconds and then freeze. I have been unable to install any firmware from Creative nor the DCM from the Intel website, both complain camera not connected.

I have tried all the USB ports on my motherboard (rear and front) (ASUS X79 [ASmedia USB3 controller].  I have seen a few other forum posts mentioning similar problems. I have upgraded to latest ASMedia drivers as discussed, to no avail.

The only missing ingredient from the system requirements for me is a 4th Gen Processor, which means no native USB3. I may be wrong but doesn't IvyBridge have native USB3? Not sure why 4th Gen is the minimum if so.

I was really looking forward to playing with the F200 and frankly quiet depressed. Unfortunately I cannot justify upgrading my 3930K (SandyBridge) [2nd GEN as I understand it] for marginal gains over a 4th gen or 5th gen Intel processor for my general day to day use, this includes gaming and openCL/GPGPU work.

I suspect the only remaining option for me is a powered USB3 expansion card? Has anyone tried one of these with success? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

There has been success using the Amazon Basic USB 3.0 power hub. Not promoting any product, just saying that one has been seen to work. 

0 Kudos
Yassir_J_
Beginner

Thanks Colleen, I've just ordered a powered PCI-E USB3 expansion card based on the Fresco Logic XHCI driver.

I suspect stable power supply for the F200 is the issue. I will post back with results once I've received and tested the card. 

0 Kudos
Yassir_J_
Beginner

I received my expansion card.

I can say with certainty that the camera IS now operational, just  NOT under windows 8.1.

I'm currently using the camera in Linux via OpenCV3 (cv2.VideoCapture) and everything seems in order.

In Linux, prior to installation of expansion card I had NO /dev/video* devices, however now I have two (color/depth).

As I originally suspected it was likely insufficient power, the bandwidth is there.

This does not explain why it is now not functioning on a windows 8.1 installation. Something is amiss and frankly it's likely related to the Intel drivers (SDK/DCM). I can't understand the statement "future proof" and "high standard" design spec, to say this with a declining PC market is to say prior Intel platforms are now obsolete and inferior, and perhaps future revisions of this Camera (potentially via thunderbolt or USB3.1) will again raise the requirements from 4th/5th generation CPUs. Please don't misunderstand - Technology evolves, however there is no reason why this device should not function with Gen2/Gen3 CPUs or any PC with a USB3 expansion card which can deliver the minimum bandwidth/power requirements.

I appreciate everything related to the F200 is alpha/testing. I may try to have a further play with this later but frankly I'm currently content in that I can access both camera feeds.

0 Kudos