Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Install error for Windows 10

Steve_T_
Beginner

Hello all,

I am trying to install the Fortran compiler on my new Windows 10 machine.

I have Visual Studio 2017 RC and Visual Studio 2015, both Professional versions.

The install fails every time returns the error code (via our software centre):

The software change returned error code 0x3E9(1001).

I have the INTEL_LICENSE_FILE variable set up, is there anything else that needs to be done before install?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jennifer_D_Intel

Hello,

I can't tell by the error message why the install is failing.  I am not very familiar with SCCM and its error reporting, but you can see if there is a log in %TEMP%\pset_temp* for the time of the install.

If there isn't a log, we can go through possible problems and check them off.  This includes license issues and problems with trusted certificates.  If there is a missing prerequisite, it should report that as a warning in the install.

Regards,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
Steve_T_
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I have located a log file (parallel_studio_xe_2016_update3_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup_extract) but there is nothing obvious about what is wrong.

There is a list of file extractions, setup.exe is launched and a list of files which are being removed.

The last lines discuss the return code being 1000 plus the setup return code.

Is there something specific I should look for?  Is there a more appropriate log file I should look in?

0 Kudos
Steve_T_
Beginner

I have Visual Studio 2017 RC installed as well as Visual Studio 2015.  Will that cause an issue?

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

I don't believe VS2017 would cause a problem, but I can do more research.  For VS2015 you do need to make sure the Common Tools for Visual C++ were installed, because they are no longer installed by default (read more here). 

What is happening during the install?  Does it extract the components and then fail?  The exe contains a number of msi files, each of which will generate a log file.  Does it create anything in [Program Files]\IntelSWTools\?

Are you able to run the installer manually?

0 Kudos
Steve_T_
Beginner

Hi,

I have found an install file which reports the error "Activation failed: No valid license was found"

However, we have sufficient floating licences so this should not occur.  Do I need to open a specific port or anything to allow this new PC to talk to the licence server?

0 Kudos
Steve_T_
Beginner

Got it working!

We installed directly and it did not give an error.

However, 2017 RC2 does not seem to have the option for Intel Fortran projects in it's new project menu but when I ran 2015  instead it was there!

Thanks for you help :)

0 Kudos