Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Install xdk_web_win_master_3641 failed

Anne_S_
Beginner

I am not able to install the Intel SDK on my computer. My computer runs Windows 7 with Intel core i7. 
It runs on the network. Our technical support staff followed the instructions on the video and run the installation program as an administrator but was unable to install it. The error message reads: "Setup Wizard ended prematurely." "Intel SDK setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error(s). failed_to_create_dir. The system cannot find the file specified." Please help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Are you accepting the default location for the install? It needs to be installed in that default location, installing anywhere else will cause folder permission problems.

0 Kudos
Anne_S_
Beginner

Yes. 

When we click to open the installation program, it automatically indicated a location on my C:\ drive, which is:

C:\Users\ashi\AppData\Local

We did not change it. But it did not work. We then tried a number of other locations. None worked.

0 Kudos
Anne_S_
Beginner

Before the final panel with error messaage, A message says:

Rolling back failed components.

Rollback component 2 of 2: Node-WebKit

Is there an earlier version available? I am trying to take an edX class taught by Intel experts on HTML5. It was taught several months ago and the students at that time did not seem to have problem installing this tool.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

All versions install into the same location. Occasionally we run into people who have install problems.

Did you download the XDK from http://xdk.intel.com or somewhere else?

This might be part of the problem > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/603992 <

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Is "C:\Users\ashi\AppData\Local" on a local hard drive, or is it a network share?

0 Kudos
Anne_S_
Beginner

It is a local hard drive. But we are not allowed to install software on our own computer.

0 Kudos
Anne_S_
Beginner

Yes we downloaded the XDK from http://xdk.intel.com

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

When you say you are not allowed to install software onto your own computer, does that mean that you do not have administrator rights on the machine? That restriction shouldn't get in the way of installing this software, since it does not require administrator access to install. The installation is all done in folders that belong to you, unless your administrator has changed the permissions on some of those folders.

You might ask your admin if folder %LocalAppData% and all its subfolders have been restricted in some way, or if you can freely write to those folders.

0 Kudos
Suren_A_
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I am having exact same issue - failed_to_create_dir. %LocalAppData% is network share actually. Do I still have chance to install XDK? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Suren -- since %LocalAppData% is a network share that is likely going to cause problems. The XDK does not work well with network shares. You might try changing the install location to a location within your home directory, but only if that is local to your machine. If that is also on a network share (which I'm guessing is the case), then you are not likely to be able to make this run on your machine. In that case, I recommend that you try using a machine that is not bound to those network restrictions.

0 Kudos