Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Intel Android 4.4.4 driver for Windows

James_L_2
Beginner

The current Intel Android Driver Setup utility 1.1.5 doesn't support KitKat 4.4.4 or higher.  When I connect a dell Venue 8 HD (Latest Version) to a Win7 PC, the device driver is not found.

Is there any other driver I can use, or is there appending update for the Intel Android Driver Setup utility?

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Brian_P_1
Beginner

I ran into a similar problem with my Dell Venue 7. The short story is that there are no drivers that work. This has to do with the fact that the Intel drivers do not list the proper Vendor and Product ID's for Dell devices in the driver. Windows "finds" drivers by using these ID's, so if they don't match, the driver won't be found. This wouldn't be a problem if Dell provided vendor specific drivers, but they don't either.

Interestingly, both Apple OSX and Linux do not find USB drivers solely based on Vendor and Product ID's. So if you use either of those platforms, everything will work.

This problem has existed since the x86 Android devices have hit the market and it's been a problem for well over a year so I wouldn't hold me breath that anyone is listening and will step up to the plate to fix it. If anyone knows of how to reach anybody at Intel or Dell that can make a difference, I could walk them through the issue and what needs to be done.

What I did initially... I downloaded the Intel driver 1.1.5, unpacked it with 7zip, changed the VID and PID's in the android_usb.inf, then coerced Windows to load a now unsigned driver. It was tricky to get working and I hear that Windows soon won't support loading unsigned drivers. Argh!

I also tried switching to OSX based development but there I ran into a problem where HAXM doesn't work on my Core 2 Dou based MAC thanks to a buggy release by Intel.

I'm playing with Lubuntu linux right now and that seems to be working driver works and HAXM works.

In short, x86 Android development hasn't been a happy place for me. right now So many basic things just don't work as they should. What's sad is that it could all work if someone at Intel would just champion the cause.

0 Kudos
James_L_2
Beginner

Brian P.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll have to test with the emulator and setup a page on my website to upload test apps and then access them from the Dell Venue 8.  A lot of extra steps, but a work around.

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos