Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition Requirements?

Nicholas_K_
Beginner

I am interested in installing "Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition (includes Fortran and C/C++)" on my workstation. Can you tell me the system requirements and pre-requisite products which need to be installed and if it will run.  I have installed "Microsoft Visual Studio" on the system and it appears to have installed fine.  However, when I installed Parallel Studio XE I receive a message about Visual Studio, and as I dig deeper selecting the reference sites, it starts mentioning a XEON processor, special graphics cards and more.

Please advise.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jennifer_D_Intel

Hello,

The release notes here describe the minimum requirements for the package.  However, there are some debuggers available for certain hardware configurations that may not apply to you, such as MIC architecture (Xeon Phi™), and you will get warnings during install that you can ignore. 

What is your Visual Studio message, and which version have you installed?  There is one gotcha to using the 2015 version, mentioned here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio

Thanks,

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Nicholas_K_
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response!  This is great!  I installed "VS Community 2017" first. I am installing this on a Windows 10 Home workstation, with an i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 8.00 GB, 64-bit OS.  Plenty of disk space.  I will add a comment with a screenshot as soon as I can; but, wanted to get back with this information which I can provide now.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Nicholas_K_
Beginner

Here are screenshots of the screen which comes up during install.

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

Ah, apologies for the delay.  The current Parallel Studio 2017 update does not support VS 2017.  Update 3 should have support.  Unfortunately it looks like there is no way to get VS 2015 Community without a subscription, and without it your best bet may be the 2015 Express edition, available here: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/ (scroll to the bottom).  Only command line compiles are supported with the VS express editions, however.  Maybe you have another way to get a non-express edition?

0 Kudos
Nicholas_K_
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you.  I am thinking I should uninstall VS2017, is that correct and will it uninstall cleanly to cause no issues with VS15 Express or VS15 Community?  I am looking to see if I can get VS15 Community.

I really appreciate your assistance with this.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

I don't believe there would be any issues with having multiple versions of VS installed, but I'm not that familiar with the community editions.  If you leave it installed, then you should be able to use it with the next Parallel Studio update.  You may get better answers directly from the compiler team here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler

0 Kudos