Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel® Parallel Studio XE

alison_l_
Beginner

Just installed a student offering for Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition under Ubuntu 16 OS.  On the output generated during installation, regarding OS requirements, Ubuntu 16 or CentOS 7.x were noted as unsupported.  Is this still the case?  Our University will be purchasing a license for the Cluster Edition (not provided free for Academic Researchers) for upcoming HPC install under CentOS 7.2.  We will be using the compilers and MKLs for compiling targeted scientific software installations and the Intel MPI for cluster processing.

I need to have confirmation that there is support for this product under CentOS 7.2. I assume "yes" and that the install "Requirements" text simply was not updated by Intel. Please advise.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Soflen_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

According to the article https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/Intel-Parallel-Studio-XE-2016, CentOS 7.x should be supported. But I suggest your school can apply an evaluation license for evaluating the compatibility on the new machines. If XE works properly on CentOS, your school will purchase XE with confidence.

Best regards,

Soflen

0 Kudos
alison_l_
Beginner

A customer should not have to rely on a website "blogs" or a "should" for an authoritative answer. It has either been tested by your developers under RH7.2 (CentOS compatible) or not. If tested by Intel, then please accordingly update the pre-commentary "Requirements" on your installer.  If not tested by Intel, it should be disclosed as such. As we will be purchasing the commercial license, "student" eval does not qualify as an answer for our purpose. I simply noted that a current student "eval" of Parallel Studio (under Ubuntu only; and not leveraging cluster components) has indicated potential deployment issues to a planned licensed HPC that would require project risk mitigation. So I'd like a confirming answer, please.

0 Kudos
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

Hello Alison,

The official document that lists the requirements for the software is the Release Notes. You can download the release notes here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016-release-notes

The latest release notes for Parallel Studio 2016 Update 3 is here:

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/75/4f/PSXE2016Update3_Release_Notes_en_US_Lin_Win.pdf

Now, CentOS is a RedHat-based OS, which means that if RHEL7 is supported, CentOS 7 is also supported. To make this information clearer, we will add a note about CentOS and other RedHat-based OS (Like Fedora) in the next update of the release notes.  

Lastly, can you please tell us which version of Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition you are installing? If it is the current latest (IPSXE 2016 Update 3, you are good to go..)

0 Kudos
alison_l_
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, Shailen, and URL direction to applicable release notes.  I also appreciate Intel's action taken to update release notes and installation preamble with your next cycle for clarity.  We have not yet purchased the product for installation, pending this reply.  You have subsequently answered my question in that we should ensure we are acquiring  IPXSE 2016, Update 3 for the installation. Therefore, I consider this issue closed.

Kind Regards,

Alison

0 Kudos