Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK Accessibility

Steve_R_
Beginner

I'm new to Intel XDK.  I downloaded and installed the latest on Windows 10, and I'm finding the interface to be very inaccessible with the NVDA screen reader.  I'm wondering what developer testing (or user experience) anyone could share regarding using XDK with assistive technologies like screen readers, especially on Windows (but knowing how it behaves on Mac and Linux would also be useful.  If there truly is no accessibility to the GUI, then is there a command-line interface that can be learned?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

There is no specific design for accessibility, and there is no command-line interface for the XDK. If you are interested in using command-line tools to build HTML5 mobile apps I recommend you investigate using Cordova CLI, which is what the XDK toolset is based on. The XDK simply combines a collection of tools that are based on Cordova CLI, which is the command-line tool. The XDK builds standard Cordova tools.

0 Kudos
Steve_R_
Beginner

Is accessibility a consideration for future releases?  If not, how do I submit it as a feature request?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I can make a request on your behalf, as a feature for consideration for a future release.

0 Kudos
Steve_R_
Beginner

Please do so.  Excluding developers because of inaccessible UI design seems like something Intel should be interested in prioritizing corrections for, don't you think?  I don't imagine that will be the case though since a simple web search for "Intel accessibility" turns up absolutely nothing related to accessible or universal design...

0 Kudos