Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK Emulator: Define Our Own Device

Organic_L_
Beginner

Could we add a new emulator device and define its specification on Intel XDK? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It's not possible to add any devices of your own in the Emulate tab at this time. We have discussed providing such a feature, but no commitment has been made at this time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Organic_L_
Beginner

Intel XDK already has a list of devices which we can emulate with. Is it possible for us to add a new one and provide its definiton? Thanks.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It's not possible to add any devices of your own in the Emulate tab at this time. We have discussed providing such a feature, but no commitment has been made at this time.

0 Kudos
Organic_L_
Beginner

Thank you for the explanation. Hopefully, in the next release of Intel XDK, such a feature could be seen. :-)

0 Kudos
Steve_S_2
Beginner

Yes. I think this is extremely important. Why? A couple examples:

• My personal smartphone, a Verizon DROID DNA, has a larger screen than any of the stock devices.
  • I don't see any of Samsung's Galaxy Note phablets on that list, and their screens are *huge.*
  • There are a couple other form factors that are probably good to have that are not on the list.

I suggest allowing the user to add his or her own definitions. I think it may also be useful to allow the community to contribute device definitions which can be saved somewhere on the XDK website, and consider them for inclusion in future releases of the XDK.

0 Kudos
Adam_G_
New Contributor I

This could be a very helpful feature.  I just tried my app on an Amazon Fire Phone and the UI isn't laying out properly.  It looks fine in the emulator and on several of my test devices so it was a bit of a surprise that it didn't lay out well on my friends Fire phone. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I have reiterated this request to engineering.

0 Kudos
David_K_3
Beginner

Ok, thanks Paul for keeping on this. So, are there more emulations available to add in then somehow? I don't care about defining my own - just need a good representation of device platforms and screen sizes etc.

Devices with these huge screens or where pixel size changes are an issue - as there are no emulations right now to simulate something at 2500 x whatever height etc.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

New devices do get added, occasionally. The Emulate tab is simply an encapsulated Chromium browser, so it contains much of the same rendering components that are found inside the Chrome browser on your desktop. You can also render on the browser on your desktop to see how it looks there. Chrome DevTools includes the ability to do just that. You just cannot run the Cordova code in the browser.

0 Kudos
Bonnell__ryan
Novice

I agree with this - I am having to use other programs to simulate larger screen sizes. I understand the chromium browser contains that. I also know that I can easily add devices to the chrome browser. If those device sizes could be added that would be great. I would rather use one tool than have to have 3 different ones to do this. Competition is fierce out there for platforms. I would like to keep this one.....

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Ryan -- thanks for the feedback. We are making a radical change in the Emulate tab in a future release. I don't know if it will include the ability to add your own device screen dimensions, but it should be more accommodating to such a feature.

0 Kudos